• Show
Clear All

• Crustless Egg-White Quiche

1 onion, chopped
    1 lb chicken chorizo
    1 sm bag frozen spinach
    1 1/4 c egg whites (5 egg whites)
    1 c cottage cheese*

You need to have an oven-proof frying pan for this to work. I keep egg-white cartons on hand. If you wish for the eggs to be yellow, add a couple drops of yellow food coloring.

I tend to make this recipe with ground-chicken chorizo but also sub in different meats. Another favorite is the Chipotle chicken sausage by Pedersons.

1. Pre-heat broiler, make sure shelf is close to element, but far enough away for the pan to fit allowing for some rising of the mixture as it cooks.

2. Cook chorizo on stove until done. Set aside.

3. Saute onion on stove in oven-proof skillet until golden.

4. Add frozen or fresh spinach, cook until warmed/wilted.

5. Combine chorizo with spinach.

6. Turn flame to med-low and pour in eggs. Cover. Cook until just set (top will still be runny.)

7. Remove lid, place under broiler until top is solid. (I like mine to be a med-brown, almost but not quite burned on top... about 10 mins. depending on how firm it was going in.)

*To make it more quiche-like, I'll add a cup of cottage cheese, which makes it fluffier. Don't worry if you don't like cottage cheese, it breaks down and just adds volume and quality protein. But not required. Steamed broccoli can replace the spinach, bacon bits for the chorizo. Basically, whatever your favorites are can be subbed in. Another tasty variation is a handful of fresh chopped basil with the spinache, a cup of Parmesan instead of cottage cheese, with plain ground chicken or turkey.
    Honey Badger is pretty badarse. Honey Badger doesn't give a crap.

I make something very similar, but season my spinach with black pepper, fresh garlic, red pepper and a dash of salt. I also use low fat cheddar cheese (shredded) instead of cottage cheese. Very good dish!