Labrador Breeder recommendations?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Labrador Breeder recommendations?

We are looking for a lab puppy to join our family. Anyone have a breeder they would recommend?

How about a lab rescue instead?

http://www.dfwlabrescue.org/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by Joycmarr View Post
      How about a lab rescue instead?

http://www.dfwlabrescue.org/
      I second this....
      Making Dream's come true one family at a time, one house at a time...

Comment

Yes, looking at rescues as well. Wanted to check out all options.

Comment

The only option is rescues - everything else is a mill. PERIOD.

Comment

Originally posted by Drivin'tooFast View Post
            The only option is rescues - everything else is a mill. PERIOD.
            Absolutely, 100% false. Rescue is nice, and should be the first option, however, many, many, many, reputable breeders are out there. They breed once a year, if that, and take exquisite care of their dogs. I know several personally, and to call these people "a mill" is laughable.

Comment

It is wonderful rescue but you might also check with Tim at North Texas Retrievers in Celina.
              http://www.texas-labs.com/

Comment

spca
                Do the world a favor - spay or neuter your pet.

Mom of 1 greyhound, 1 angel greyhound, a beagle, a quarter horse, a danish warmblood, and a little girl. Oh yeah, and a husband!

Comment

Lone Star Lab Rescue is top notch. http://www.lonestarlabrescue.org/available.html

Speaking as someone who fosters for three purebreed rescue groups, the best thing to do is to get your application submitted. So often, available dogs don't even hit the website. They match an application already submitted by someone else, who ends up adopting that dog. So, BE that someone else. Seriously, just because you don't see a young dog on a website doesn't mean that the group doesn't get them into rescue. A lot of times it simply means there is no reason to put them up on line as there is already a qualified applicant waiting in the wings.
                  "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

Have to agree with Demvet. There absolutely ARE reputable breeders out there. The problem is that there are many, many more who are not. It can be tough for a newbie pet buyer to discriminate the good from the truly awful. You have to do your homework.

By the way, reputable breeders DO NOT sell through a pet store or a trader's village type of set up. They're not advertising on line either. Reputable breeders typically have a waiting list before the pups ever hit the ground.

I am wholeheartedly a supporter of rescue, especially for such a popular breed such as a labrador. These dogs are everywhere in rescue~ and we're talking purebred labs whose only fault was to wind up with a crap owner.
                    "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

are you wanting a hunting/trial dog or just a lay around the house lab? if the later, one of the lab rescues is the best option by far. if your looking for a hunting dog, let me know and ill give you 3-4 local breeders who have top notch dogs with champion bloodlines.
                      A 30 yr old male watching child birth is like a 5 yr old watching Disney land burn to the ground.

Prosper, closed to new residents. Thanks.

Comment

We're just looking for a happy family puppy that we can train from the get go to be a well adjusted, obedient and sweet dog.

I would love to rescue a dog but my concern is their temperament. If I were to get a puppy from a breeder who gave the pup nothing but love and comfort for the first 8 weeks of it's life, would that give me better chances for my ideal dog than a rescue with a probable rough start to life? I don't mean to sound heartless, just taking my what's likely to be a 14yr commitment seriously.

Comment

please do adopt a rescue

I have been a petsitter for over 11 years and I have to tell you that you need to know that the first 2 years are very hard. These beautiful dogs need to be crate trained in the puppy days and if not they will tear at everything and hurt themselves. Also if you have young children they will knock them over as they get older. I tell you this because I have petsat for so many young couples who get lab puppies from so called breeders and these dogs are most of the time but not always very hyper. I get very attached to these pups but by age 12/15 months the owners give up and get rid of the dogs. This is so very sad because if you can just wait a little longer they are fabulous. Expect eaten shoes, and tennis balls are a no no etc... Plenty of toys and congs stuffed with goodies when you are gone. Please think very carefully.

Maybe a little older dog say 3 would be great. Many breeders will probably tear me apart for this but this is what I have seen. The very best of luck to you, one dog I care for now is called King and he is a love bug but how his tummy is intact is amazing. Also they need tons of exercise. So be prepared to walk and run many miles with the dog.

Also please note there are SOME GREAT BREEDERS out there but why buy when you can save a pet from a shelter.

just my FYI

Comment

Originally posted by junetxgirl View Post
                            It is wonderful rescue but you might also check with Tim at North Texas Retrievers in Celina.
                            http://www.texas-labs.com/
                            Just wanted to comment that hunting dogs (offered by the breeder recommended above) are bred to be high energy so that they have enough stamina to hunt for a full day at a time. Companion dogs are bred for low energy, suitable for a family pet.

Something to consider.

Kramer

Comment

Since you are just looking for a house dog, if you could get a 1-2 yr old fostered dog that is crate trained with most of the puppy out of it, thats the way to go. I've had puppies and rescues and have decided rescues are great. Even with the rescues, you still may have history on the dog depending on the situation. Most have just come into unfortunate situations (job loss, owners moving, etc). I have two rescues and one I've raised from a puppy (dobermans) and all three are great. The last rescue we had no history on and she is unbelievably sweet.

To get to your question about breeders. I would research proper breeder standards and health testing within the breed. Dobermans have several health issues (heart disease, vwd, etc) that have evolved with poor breeders so getting pups from the backyard breeders only facilitates the problem. I don't know about Labs, but you might look at health issues and ensure the breeder does and provides documentation on health testing.

Good luck and enjoy your new addition!

Comment

Working...
                              X