Menu

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Want to buy bunny for a pet - Which breed?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want to buy bunny for a pet - Which breed?

Anybody out there know about rabbit breeds??? And no, not the ones out there eating all your flowers :-)

I have been researching all day and there are soooo many breeds, that I am sooo confused. There are mini rex, mini lop, dwarf lop, polish and holland, and so on...
    We want to buy a baby bunny for our daughter who will be turning 12. We only want one. What we are looking for:

- doesn't get any bigger than 3-4lbs (so basically one on the smaller breed size)
    - good temperment with kids
    - likes to be held a lot (lap bunny I guess you would say)
    -easy to potty/litter box train (I read some are easier than others?)
    - I read some can be moodier than others and bite due to moodiness... don't want that!

Any help/suggestions from rabbit owners, would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks!

I just read an article that said a lot of rabbit rescues are full now due to the Easter season over and now those cute bunnies are not wanted..

Maybe check and talk to various rescues.

Comment

If I were buying a rabbit, I would buy a show rabbit so I could have the option of taking it to shows. It's a great hobby for a kid your daughter's age. When I was into showing rabbits almost 20 years ago you could take any rabbit to a show but it's nice to win a ribbon once in a while. A young rabbit from good stock does not cost very much. I have won ribbons with rescue rabbits but you have to know what you're looking for. Show rabbits also have to be able to sit quietly and pose so they MIGHT have a tendency to be calmer. The mini-rexes were my favorite. I also raised mini-lops and Californians. The mini-lops were always quiet and good natured. Someday I am going to get one of the dwarf breeds as a pet and show it for fun...many years ago I heard that they were mean but perhaps that has been bred out of them by now.

If I were you I would go to a rabbit show... 20 years ago there were often rabbits for sale at shows. Even if there aren't any rabbits for sale at the show you would learn a lot.
      I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

As a kid I used to raise them. The lop ear ones seemed to be the friendliest ones I ever had. The Dutch all seemed to have a mean streak in them, but you also can get the common New Zealand whites or reds, they were all nice too. You can litter train rabbits, but I don't suggest it as when they are in the home they will chew up wires, carpet, walls, etc., ( they are rodents- the truth of the fact is) They do live for about 10 years, so be prepared to enjoy them for a long time.

Also, please don't worry about a rabbit getting big, the nice ones I ever had were big, but you learn how to hold them so it's not a big deal.
        Last edited by melmax; 05-05-2012, 08:36 PM.
        R.I.P. Max http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/
        http://www.akcchf.org/how-you-can-help/
        I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.~ John Steinbeck

Comment

Yeah, my Californians were really laid back and while they're bigger than 3-4 pounds they're not hard to handle.
          I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Adopt from a reputable rescue. Not only can they tell you all about that pet's specifics, but if the adoption just isn't working out, they generally ask that you return the rabbit to them, which is a nice safety net.

http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/TX168.html
            "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

Channel 5 just had a story on last week about a Rabbit Rescue group in Denton with hundred of Easter Rabbits that need homes.

Comment

Originally posted by river1 View Post
                Channel 5 just had a story on last week about a Rabbit Rescue group in Denton with hundred of Easter Rabbits that need homes.
                That's the link I just posted right before your post. Easter is a terrible time of year for bunnies.
                "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

Rabbits are destroying my yard... I want to eradicate them.. but they are very cute..
                  Making Dream's come true one family at a time, one house at a time...

Comment

You had better pick one (or none) that has a short life span as it will be yours in 3 years!

Comment

I would suggest adopting as well. From what I've read, a lot of rabbits really aren't comfortable being held and handled all that much, especially by kids so keep that in mind. Most rabbits are easy to litter box train if they are spayed/neutered and if you adopt, that has already been done for you.

Comment

Warning, please do not adopt from a breeder in Wylie. He buys and sells many bunnies on craigslist and his rabbits are living in deplorable conditions and over breeds/inbreeds his bunnies. If you do get a bunny that is not fixed check out TCAP for cheap spay and neuter. $45 for boys and $55 female. I have bunnies and holland lops are easiest trained and disposition is great. Netherland Dwarfs are also good and small. Plano Holifield Living Center does not charge for adoption and they always have many bunnies that need homes. Good luck finding the new addition to your family.

Comment

A good friend of mine works with Rabbit Rescue in Denton, so I'd highly recommend visiting them. You can get more information about adopting from their website.
                          "You look fully formed / I thought you'd been warned" - Robert Palmer

Comment

Originally posted by steph13055 View Post
                            I would suggest adopting as well. From what I've read, a lot of rabbits really aren't comfortable being held and handled all that much, especially by kids so keep that in mind. Most rabbits are easy to litter box train if they are spayed/neutered and if you adopt, that has already been done for you.
                            When I had one litter box trained when I was living in an apartment, it was nice but the urine was worst than any cat's in any home I had ever smelled...and I kept it cleaned out each day.
                            R.I.P. Max http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/
                            http://www.akcchf.org/how-you-can-help/
                            I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.~ John Steinbeck

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions. We will be checking out the rescue this weekend and definitely staying away from the seller in Wylie. Saw his posts on craigslist.

Then to find a good indoor cage that is easy to clean and separate area for litter training!

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
                              X