Property Tax Appraisal Review Board Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Property Tax Appraisal Review Board Advice

I tried filing an online appeal. It was rejected and I was immediately assigned a Collin Appraisal Review Board hearing in June. Has anyone on here appeared before the appraisal review board? Any tips for a successful negotiation? I thought there was a discussion thread on this a few years ago, but I couldn't seem to find it. Advice, tips, thoughts...greatly appreciated.

I found a video with some good tips: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2l62ZxoRwI

Comment

Great Video, Mugzy. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

Can you show up for an informal hearing prior to the 31 May deadline even if you have a formal Collin Appraisal Review Board hearing date already set?

Comment

I think you can.

Comment

Originally posted by Drivin'tooFast View Post
            I think you can.
            Thanks DTF. I'm going to give it a try next week and walk-in for an informal meeting. Still trying to collect some estimates on roof replacement, window replacement of broken seals, etc. At this point it's more a matter of principle. Running the numbers even if I can get them down a few thousand on assessment, it ultimately will only save me about $70-85 dollars on the actual tax bill. Sure wish they would put a lifetime cap on how much your property taxes can increase while your in the same home, rather than the 10% max annually. Mine's up over $100K in 12 years on the assessment side. Of course that's fantastic if you are looking to sell. Not so great if you'd like to stay in your home and the area.

Comment

I filed a petition last night and also have a date in June. The weirdest thing, they sent me 2 documents that are not the comps they used to appraise my property. It's a list of every house in my neighborhood's assessed value, not sold properties. I am wondering if someone new attached to my evidence section in error.
              Meanwhile, while we were sleeping, our past Mayor Maso was is Austin yesterday lobbying against the Senate Bill 2 (property tax reform) and for higher taxes. Chris Hill from Plano was supporting the Senate Bill for reform, #Thankful for Chris!

https://www.facebook.com/BrandonBurd...type=3&theater
              If you want to hear God laugh, tell Him what YOUR plans are!

Comment

You are much better off going to an informal hearing and the earlier in the process the better. My theory is they have a set amount they need for all the appraisals so they know how much they can "lose" to appraisal adjustments. As more and more people get adjustments that "pool" gets smaller and it is harder to get an adjustment. Once you get to the formal hearings, their isn't much left in the adjustment pool. I had a coworker that thought he would stand a better chance at the formal hearing. This guy is very thorough and had tons of comps for his area showing his house was way over valued. He said the lady actually told him that the real estate values had nothing to do with tax values and denied his adjustment.
                Here's a joke you might not laugh at:
                All the poorest work the hardest for the smallest
                Do what you got to do

Comment

It's my experience, informal is the best option. Walk in and have a conversation, make sure you have the data.

Comment

Working...
                  X