Amazon HQ2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amazon HQ2

Wonder if Frisco will go after Amazon or let Plano continue to win the big corporations ? At a minimum I would think DFW area is a top contender with geographic location, DFW airport and educated work force.

Be interesting to watch the pursuit unfold.

Originally posted by TexasLonghorn94 View Post
    Wonder if Frisco will go after Amazon or let Plano continue to win the big corporations ? At a minimum I would think DFW area is a top contender with geographic location, DFW airport and educated work force.

Be interesting to watch the pursuit unfold.
    I saw a quote from an Amazon exec that they are not opposed to a rural area and prefer somewhere with mass transit and a very large facility already built. But I'm sure that can change based on the package of cash and tax breaks a city provides them.

Comment

I've read that Amazon is a horrible company to work for. Not sure if that included the corporate environment or just the warehouses.
      Here's a joke you might not laugh at:
      All the poorest work the hardest for the smallest
      Do what you got to do

Comment

Amazon is the Debil and is working towards global domination, we dont need them here. Wait, you're bringing potential jobs and revenue? Well welcome to Texas Mr Beelzebub

Comment

Originally posted by Opus View Post
          I've read that Amazon is a horrible company to work for. Not sure if that included the corporate environment or just the warehouses.
          Ive read that about the shipping contractor companies they work with but as for Amazon as a whole, given that their selling point is the speed of deliveries and vastness of products, I'd guess that the dislikes were based upon a "quantity of work preformed over a period of time" and that some people (those inherently lazy ones) couldn't or didn't want to fulfill their job requirements.

All companies are going to have those who say the place is horrid to work at so I take that with a grain of salt.

Comment

Yeah, that is right. If you are doing a job that will soon be replaced by a robot that job probably sucks. But Amazon pays well in interim for the warehouse work so.....

I guess it would be cool to have them in Frisco but as bike child points out the requirement of a budget black hole..errr..I mean public transit is there. Unless Amazon buys into the Mayor's position...we will be in driverless cars soon...Amazon probably won't be coming.
            “Don't look at me in that tone of voice.”
            Ms. Parker

Comment

Highly doubt Amazon would open a HQ in Texas. Way too backwards for a company out of PNW. Hell Frisco just voted to stay in the 1920s last year. Tesla is illegal, weird laws on when you can sell cars and liquor, legal fights over gay marriage rights and pot gets you in jail.
              moths are attracted to the showroom bright glow of LCD..

Comment

I feel like the competition only narrows down to DFW or Denver, I read almost every single publication that has done a report already and almost every single one brings up DFW and Denver as the best contenders. But at the end of the day? Dallas is in the center of it all. We have a very high chance of winning.

In response to the original statement above, I Talked to the mayor of Frisco on friday and he confirmed they are "working aggressively on the bid." Plano is approaching build-out and wont have the space to accommodate everything amazon plans to build. Frisco does. I see this as potentially a game changer for the entire region. Frisco eventually becoming an economic powerhouse, and massively urbanizing its core. Becoming a satellite city and adding new mass transit options (as required by Amazon's guidelines) which would only better the community by alleviating traffic congestion, especially considering how much traffic all these projects are going to create. Frisco's potential is there, and I do feel they will be able to come up with an enticing bid. Its going to be interesting to see how this plays out.

Comment

Originally posted by Tooleman View Post
                  Highly doubt Amazon would open a HQ in Texas. Way too backwards for a company out of PNW. Hell Frisco just voted to stay in the 1920s last year. Tesla is illegal, weird laws on when you can sell cars and liquor, legal fights over gay marriage rights and pot gets you in jail.
                  But we can carry guns, Texas is very business friendly state, but I suspect him being based in Seattle they don't like the 2nd Amendment. He sure didn't mind when his customers didn't have to pay sales tax a few years ago.

Comment

Don't rule out Texas.

Austin & the DFW area will likely be finalists in this HQ2 site search. Centrally located, great DFW international airport, lots of incentives, good schools, affordable homes, a business friendly environment, no state income tax, and a large ready to go IT workforce.

Frisco will definitely bid on this project. An ideal location would be north of Panther Creek Parkway with DNT frontage. It would handle the traffic nicely.

And Jeff Bezos lived in Houston during his elementary school years. His stepdad worked at Exxon. And he spent 10 summers in Texas working on his grandparents' 25,000 acre ranch.

His summers on the ranch in Cotulla, TX per the Dallas Morning News: "It also included fixing windmills and repairing farm equipment, such as a giant bulldozer whose transmission he removed by constructing a small crane. He built a barn. He took cattle to auction. He learned his grandfather's work ethic and somehow survived the heat."

And he still is personally one of the larger landowners in Texas. I believe around 300,000 acres from past Forbes reports. And his cousin is George Strait. Can't get anymore Texan than that....
                    Watch our short 2013 Texas Dream Cruise video: http://video214.com/play/j72De7kKt6Ok8zbxKcwYQg/s/dark

Comment

Maybe I am missing something.

Isn't Amazon looking for a second Headquarters, not a new location for a distribution/warehouse facility?

Comment

Originally posted by PugLover View Post
                        Maybe I am missing something.

Isn't Amazon looking for a second Headquarters, not a new location for a distribution/warehouse facility?
                        You're correct. A second HQ - the Seattle HQ location will still continue. Primarily professional level jobs. It will be a "twin" of the Seattle HQ. (No warehouse/distribution facility.)
                        Last edited by Texas Dream Cruise; 09-10-2017, 10:12 AM.
                        Watch our short 2013 Texas Dream Cruise video: http://video214.com/play/j72De7kKt6Ok8zbxKcwYQg/s/dark

Comment

Legalize marijane and you would be on an even footing with Denver. I SAVED money moving to NM from N. Dallas with it's 5% income tax due to lower auto insurance and property taxes. The Texas powerpoint has that 0% income taxes bullet point but its a false total value.

Comment

There are lots of places in Plano that could be bulldozed to accommodate a large HQ. Like Collin Creek Mall. There is also plenty of undeveloped land still in Plano. Plano has plenty of space. It would make more sense to me to put the HQ by the warehouse they already have built in DFW though.
                            I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

HQ will go on a campus size lot. Physical location in relationship to warehouses is irrelevant. They want incentives, public transportation, culture. Frisco can only provide 1 of the 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X