Menu

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Would you recall any of our elected officials ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Would you recall any of our elected officials ?

    The City Charter allows for a recall election in the event of incompetence, misconduct or malfeasance. A recall election is a process where voters are allowed to remove an elected or appointed official from office. It requires a petition with signatures equivalent to 30 percent of the voters from the last mayors election. In our case, there were around 10,000 voters, so the petition would require roughly 3,000 signatures.
    Is the handling of our water service a significant enough issue to recall someone ?

    What about Exide ? What about the lawsuit over the liquor vote in Denton County ? Buying the land to keep a liquor store from coming in ? How about Cheney wasting money on his committee to take over youth sports ? Those are just some of my personal favorites, i am sure you all have your own, good or bad - but at what point do you say time to get their attention.

    The way it works is a petition is submitted the targeted official has a right to either resign, ask for a public hearing, or let the vote go forward. When the votes is held it is a yes or no vote - can they keep their job or not ?

    What are your thoughts ? What would it take for you to recall someone ?


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

  • #2
    I am opposed to recall elections. When an election is held, the people speak by casting ballots. Elections themselves serve as a "job appraisal" of sorts. Recall elections promote the fact that special interest groups can, in essence, attempt to derail the voice of those that elected a candidate. For those that have concerns about the performance of those currently in office, an option is always open to run for office. Get involved with local organizations that are closely aligned with the concerns that you have. Additionally, re-call elections cost money. Communities across the nation, of all sizes, are facing tough decisions regarding budgets. The cost incurred holding a special election can be better used in a variety of city services.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by tcgop View Post
      I am opposed to recall elections. When an election is held, the people speak by casting ballots. Elections themselves serve as a "job appraisal" of sorts. Recall elections promote the fact that special interest groups can, in essence, attempt to derail the voice of those that elected a candidate. For those that have concerns about the performance of those currently in office, an option is always open to run for office. Get involved with local organizations that are closely aligned with the concerns that you have. Additionally, re-call elections cost money. Communities across the nation, of all sizes, are facing tough decisions regarding budgets. The cost incurred holding a special election can be better used in a variety of city services.
      I kinda agree with you... but I also think there should be a mechanism for the public to recall appointed positions / hired help. There are dozens and dozens of appointments to boards and intergovernmental task forces that have very little public oversight today. Most of the rules you have to live by are not put in place by elected officials, rather from a multiplicity of bureaucracies that function pretty much independently of the public...
      The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Piiilot View Post
        The City Charter allows for a recall election in the event of incompetence, misconduct or malfeasance. A recall election is a process where voters are allowed to remove an elected or appointed official from office. It requires a petition with signatures equivalent to 30 percent of the voters from the last mayors election. In our case, there were around 10,000 voters, so the petition would require roughly 3,000 signatures.
        Is the handling of our water service a significant enough issue to recall someone ?

        What about Exide ? What about the lawsuit over the liquor vote in Denton County ? Buying the land to keep a liquor store from coming in ? How about Cheney wasting money on his committee to take over youth sports ? Those are just some of my personal favorites, i am sure you all have your own, good or bad - but at what point do you say time to get their attention.

        The way it works is a petition is submitted the targeted official has a right to either resign, ask for a public hearing, or let the vote go forward. When the votes is held it is a yes or no vote - can they keep their job or not ?

        What are your thoughts ? What would it take for you to recall someone ?


        Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
        I get it now. You like to stir things up don't you? You point fingers, rather than rolling up your sleeves, learning and doing something about the real issues this city is facing. Also, you do know this is Jeff Cheney's web site? Aren't you one of the moderator of this site? You puzzle me as a resident, citizen of Frisco. Look up the meaning of community and citizenship.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Informed citizen View Post
          I get it now. You like to stir things up don't you? You point fingers, rather than rolling up your sleeves, learning and doing something about the real issues this city is facing. Also, you do know this is Jeff Cheney's web site? Aren't you one of the moderator of this site? You puzzle me as a resident, citizen of Frisco. Look up the meaning of community and citizenship.
          as soon as you look up the definition of "informed"... and stop lying...

          you are definitely showing signs of being a kool-aid drinking crack-pot....
          The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Informed citizen View Post
            I get it now. You like to stir things up don't you? You point fingers, rather than rolling up your sleeves, learning and doing something about the real issues this city is facing. Also, you do know this is Jeff Cheney's web site? Aren't you one of the moderator of this site? You puzzle me as a resident, citizen of Frisco. Look up the meaning of community and citizenship.
            OH No this Jeff's website ? Really ? Oh my what will I do now ? Oh Gosh I am scared now !
            I am not a moderator, if I was I would boot you. Yes I know this is his website. He is a big boy and does not need you to worry about him. He is a big boy and can more than hold his own on here.

            Comment


            • #7
              Fighting fair- NOT SO MUCH- Exide Out

              Originally posted by Piiilot View Post
              OH No this Jeff's website ? Really ? Oh my what will I do now ? Oh Gosh I am scared now !
              I am not a moderator, if I was I would boot you. Yes I know this is his website. He is a big boy and does not need you to worry about him. He is a big boy and can more than hold his own on here.
              Boot me out for what stating the facts about Exide, lead, emissions, blood testing etc from Experts.... or for not agreeing with your opinions and remarks. hhhmmm???? You have been insulting and not only to me either. I have reported several posters as abusive on FOL and not any of them regarding my posts either.

              Since I started replying to posts/threads that were previously started by someone else on this site, I've see a pattern of replies from several posters that are pro-Exide and make "prove it or go away" statements. When the opposing (anti-Exide) poster replies with links and posts articles by EXPERTS as "proof" of their argument - you ignore the facts presented and go on the personal attack. Now that is very sad as we have a real problem here in Frisco. Those who want to solve it (especially on behalf of others) have just as much right to post their facts as you do to post your opinions. You guys can knock yourselves out.. have at each other. I have grown tired of this FOL. There won't be much of Frisco when you are the only ones left here. obtw- There will not be economic growth as long as Exide remains in operation here. The TRUTH is getting out there so you guys can be the last man standing- Go back to your cabins boys and good luck to all the die hard pro- Exide, uninformed, nasty posters.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Informed citizen View Post
                Boot me out for what stating the facts about Exide, lead, emissions, blood testing etc from Experts.... or for not agreeing with your opinions and remarks. hhhmmm???? You have been insulting and not only to me either. I have reported several posters as abusive on FOL and not any of them regarding my posts either.

                Since I started replying to posts/threads that were previously started by someone else on this site, I've see a pattern of replies from several posters that are pro-Exide and make "prove it or go away" statements. When the opposing (anti-Exide) poster replies with links and posts articles by EXPERTS as "proof" of their argument - you ignore the facts presented and go on the personal attack. Now that is very sad as we have a real problem here in Frisco. Those who want to solve it (especially on behalf of others) have just as much right to post their facts as you do to post your opinions. You guys can knock yourselves out.. have at each other. I have grown tired of this FOL. There won't be much of Frisco when you are the only ones left here. obtw- There will not be economic growth as long as Exide remains in operation here. The TRUTH is getting out there so you guys can be the last man standing- Go back to your cabins boys and good luck to all the die hard pro- Exide, uninformed, nasty posters.
                Ok so does this mean you are finally going away ? If there was no growth maybe we could water our lawns. You don't seem to know the difference between fact and Rhetoric. Is it too much to ask for proof ? who appointed you to look after everyone else ?


                Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Informed citizen View Post
                  Boot me out for what stating the facts about Exide, lead, emissions, blood testing etc from Experts.... or for not agreeing with your opinions and remarks. hhhmmm???? You have been insulting and not only to me either. I have reported several posters as abusive on FOL and not any of them regarding my posts either.

                  Since I started replying to posts/threads that were previously started by someone else on this site, I've see a pattern of replies from several posters that are pro-Exide and make "prove it or go away" statements. When the opposing (anti-Exide) poster replies with links and posts articles by EXPERTS as "proof" of their argument - you ignore the facts presented and go on the personal attack. Now that is very sad as we have a real problem here in Frisco. Those who want to solve it (especially on behalf of others) have just as much right to post their facts as you do to post your opinions. You guys can knock yourselves out.. have at each other. I have grown tired of this FOL. There won't be much of Frisco when you are the only ones left here. obtw- There will not be economic growth as long as Exide remains in operation here. The TRUTH is getting out there so you guys can be the last man standing- Go back to your cabins boys and good luck to all the die hard pro- Exide, uninformed, nasty posters.
                  One last time - please bring forth anyone harmed by Exide over the previous 40 years of more lax emission standards than what they are attempting achieve... still got nothing do you... mmkay - bye bye then...
                  The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by bizguy View Post
                    I kinda agree with you... but I also think there should be a mechanism for the public to recall appointed positions / hired help. There are dozens and dozens of appointments to boards and intergovernmental task forces that have very little public oversight today. Most of the rules you have to live by are not put in place by elected officials, rather from a multiplicity of bureaucracies that function pretty much independently of the public...
                    The problem with this is then you get more and more special factions that start trying to recall/fire this person, that person, etc on a whim because they don't like the decision on a given item.

                    Similar to CA and the ease at which they can make constitutional ammendments. It creates conflicting issues, and a mess in general.

                    That's not exactly the type of situation I'd like to see us in.

                    When it comes to Staff they follow the direction and guidance of council. If there's some policy or ordinance that doesn't make sense, chances are it leads back to some guidance or ordinance that council passed. When it comes to the appointed boards and commissions, they are recommending boards, I can't think of anything, at the moment, that doesn't come back through council at some point, or in some manner for approval.
                    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?
                    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                      The problem with this is then you get more and more special factions that start trying to recall/fire this person, that person, etc on a whim because they don't like the decision on a given item.
                      Yep. Goodness knows, I've certainly taken issue with the council over the years on various items but I think the only reason I'd support a recall of any kind would be for actual malfeasance in office combined with a refusal to step down on their own.
                      This space for rent. Inquire within.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                        The problem with this is then you get more and more special factions that start trying to recall/fire this person, that person, etc on a whim because they don't like the decision on a given item.

                        Similar to CA and the ease at which they can make constitutional ammendments. It creates conflicting issues, and a mess in general.

                        That's not exactly the type of situation I'd like to see us in.

                        When it comes to Staff they follow the direction and guidance of council. If there's some policy or ordinance that doesn't make sense, chances are it leads back to some guidance or ordinance that council passed. When it comes to the appointed boards and commissions, they are recommending boards, I can't think of anything, at the moment, that doesn't come back through council at some point, or in some manner for approval.
                        Yeah, I know you are right, I just get wishful sometimes that citizens could be more involved in the direction of the city without having to make it into a part time job or appearing to be a nutjob activist like some of the anti-Exide folks...
                        The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Rebel View Post
                          The problem with this is then you get more and more special factions that start trying to recall/fire this person, that person, etc on a whim because they don't like the decision on a given item.

                          Similar to CA and the ease at which they can make constitutional ammendments. It creates conflicting issues, and a mess in general.

                          That's not exactly the type of situation I'd like to see us in.

                          When it comes to Staff they follow the direction and guidance of council. If there's some policy or ordinance that doesn't make sense, chances are it leads back to some guidance or ordinance that council passed. When it comes to the appointed boards and commissions, they are recommending boards, I can't think of anything, at the moment, that doesn't come back through council at some point, or in some manner for approval.
                          Is that any different than the church folks, anti-exide people, etc., pushing the council to follow their special interest agenda's. I see a recall as the same thing with a big hammer. i have gotten a lot of PM's about this with some interesting thoughts. It seems so much of what the council does is related to their special interest groups. Don't think for a second the water restrictions are not directly related to real estate developers. So think about the way the council uses staff. Best example out there; Cheney trying to take over youth sports. Look at how many staff are on his committee ? Thats not right either.


                          Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Piiilot View Post
                            Is that any different than the church folks, anti-exide people, etc., pushing the council to follow their special interest agenda's. I see a recall as the same thing with a big hammer. i have gotten a lot of PM's about this with some interesting thoughts. It seems so much of what the council does is related to their special interest groups. Don't think for a second the water restrictions are not directly related to real estate developers. So think about the way the council uses staff. Best example out there; Cheney trying to take over youth sports. Look at how many staff are on his committee ? Thats not right either.


                            Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                            Cheney tried to take over youth sports?


                            We (north texas military association) attended a recent meeting of the youth sports council, Jeff wasn't even there. Must be one of the mystical coups.

                            Maybe the lead got to you.

                            We have the ability to "recall" candidates at the polls. I have had disagreements of policy with many of our councilmen/women, I have never seen a case where someone was so egregious that a recall vote was in order.

                            OTOH, this year is a voting 2 for 1. Turnout is running half of last year so your vote counts twice!!!!!!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Frisco119 View Post
                              Cheney tried to take over youth sports?


                              We (north texas military association) attended a recent meeting of the youth sports council, Jeff wasn't even there. Must be one of the mystical coups.

                              Maybe the lead got to you.

                              We have the ability to "recall" candidates at the polls. I have had disagreements of policy with many of our councilmen/women, I have never seen a case where someone was so egregious that a recall vote was in order.

                              OTOH, this year is a voting 2 for 1. Turnout is running half of last year so your vote counts twice!!!!!!
                              no he attended one meeting - promised to meet with each organization individually - didnt happen. never went to another meeting, then formed his own sub-committee to study the sports council and make it better. only problem he excluded anyone from the sports council on his sub-committee.......


                              Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X