Menu

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New state law makes it harder or easier to build Sec8 in Frisco?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New state law makes it harder or easier to build Sec8 in Frisco?

Changes coming to how the state doles out money for low-income housing

In the wake of a federal lawsuit challenging the concentration of affordable housing in low-income areas, the state shifted its scoring to reward projects in higher-income or downtown areas. Under the new scoring, developers miss out on four possible points by building in lower-income areas.

Simultaneously, Gov. Rick Perry stripped the authority of the state board to grant subsidies outside the scoring system.
    More on this in a bit....

In 2008, a local nonprofit called the Inclusive Communities Project sued the housing agency on grounds that it promoted segregation by pushing low-income developments into minority areas.
    There's that name again. Continuing....

In 2010, the board approved subsidies for a project in Frisco, over major opposition.
    So what do y'all think? The board can't use their slush fund to reward favorably connected developers any more. OTOH, they get more points for building in high-income areas but purportedly lose points when there is significant neighborhood opposition. One of the things I didn't excerpt from the much longer article is that competition among developers for these points is extremely fierce and anything that costs any points at all can make the difference between getting a handout of state cash or getting nothing.

Do the new guidelines make it harder or easier for Betsy Julian to finally get her Section 8 slum for Dallas gang bangers built in Frisco?
    Amount of money Frisco ISD gave Jerry Jones to build JerryLand: $30 million
    Amount of money Frisco ISD wants to raise in their proposed tax increase: $30 million
    Tax increase on an average Frisco home: An additional $40 a month
    VOTE NO ON THE FRISCO ISD COWBOYS TAX AUGUST 27

I find it interesting that Preston Hollow and Frisco were both specifically mentioned, especially since Mr. Charles Kent Conine, the real estate developer and TDHCA Chairman previously removed from the TDHCA for fraud conviction then reappointed by Perry has lived both places and is the one who pushed Frisco for Sec 8 in the first place.

I still smell a rat on this deal.
    Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as "one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset." (NYTimes, March 6, 2007)

Comment

Looks to me (based on that article) as though there are three clues to keeping the mess of Section 8 concentration camps out:

1. Keep Frisco residents aware that such concentrations have ALWAYS created a disaster everywhere in the country they've been tried.

2. Keep land values high to discourage such developments.

3. Keep DART-style ripoff public transportation out.

All three of those bullet points should help Frisco remain "undesirable" per the state's scoring system, and spare the city council some sleepless nights worrying about ICP lawsuits.

Did I miss anything?

Comment

Originally posted by penguin View Post
        Looks to me (based on that article) as though there are three clues to keeping the mess of Section 8 concentration camps out:

1. Keep Frisco residents aware that such concentrations have ALWAYS created a disaster everywhere in the country they've been tried.

All three of those bullet points should help Frisco remain "undesirable" per the state's scoring system, and spare the city council some sleepless nights worrying about ICP lawsuits.

Did I miss anything?
        Just one that seemingly Frisco has already gotten right (so far)...keep the codes stringent to make it difficult for a cheap investment to build here.
        Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as "one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset." (NYTimes, March 6, 2007)

Comment

Originally posted by penguin View Post

Did I miss anything?

Second, projects are still heavily penalized under the points system if neighborhood groups oppose them.

Make sure that we speak loudly about opposing them being built here.
          You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas.
          Davy Crockett

Mitt 2012!! A better America begins November 6!!

Comment

It appears to me that the State of Texas should abandon any effort to put money anywhere.

Get rid of the incentives.

Comment

I still haven't been able to find out what the expiration of the ICP agreement between ICP and the city of Frisco means. The city's website on the proposed Section 8 development hasn't been updated recently.

Comment

Working...
              X