Grand Park?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks.

We're working on some plans, though I don't expect we'll have actual "Mile Markers" anytime soon ($$$$$$).

General rule if your hiking (these are reversed if you are riding). Clockwise on Ranger, Counterclockwise on all the inner loops. If you want to stay on Ranger stay left anytime the trail splits.

For everyone, One should "ease into" the inner loops, if you have to make a sharp turn to get on one of the inner loops then you're going the wrong direction.
    If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?
    I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
      Thanks.

We're working on some plans, though I don't expect we'll have actual "Mile Markers" anytime soon ($$$$$$).

General rule if your hiking (these are reversed if you are riding). Clockwise on Ranger, Counterclockwise on all the inner loops. If you want to stay on Ranger stay left anytime the trail splits.

For everyone, One should "ease into" the inner loops, if you have to make a sharp turn to get on one of the inner loops then you're going the wrong direction.
      Yeah, I knew what direction I was supposed to be going, but there are so many twists/turns that it is hard to distinguish whether you are going clockwise/counterclockwise at any given point on some of those trails. I know signs cost money, but if you want people to have a solid experience on their first time out there (hopefully good enough where they'll want to come back) then that would be one of those things that would help. You don't want somebody halfway out on a trail confused as to where they were and then trying to take shortcuts back.

I'm familiar with a lot of the DORBA trail system and have spent quite a bit of time at Isle Du Bois, Northshore, Knob Hills, and Arbor Hills (as well as lots of trails outside of D/FW), I just felt this one was a little lacking in comparison. Obviously this one is relatively new, but it has potential to be decent.

I will be giving it another shot now that I know the lay of the land. I am doing the Whispering Pines 50k trail run next month so I will continue to be logging some serious miles on the trails over the next few weeks.

Comment

That is one of the issues with hikers and others going off trail and creating "cut-off" trails - it makes it more confusing for the next person as there is now an intersection and no signage to help sort it out....
        The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by bizguy View Post
          That is one of the issues with hikers and others going off trail and creating "cut-off" trails - it makes it more confusing for the next person as there is now an intersection and no signage to help sort it out....
          Yeah, that's definitely part of it. IMO, the more signage early on to keep people on the trails, the less people will get lost/confused and start deviating off trails. With so many of those trails that are close together (Redhawk and Wolverine at a few key points within eyesight of the trail head), it can be tempting to jump across.

Comment

Originally posted by brianw76 View Post
            Yeah, that's definitely part of it. IMO, the more signage early on to keep people on the trails, the less people will get lost/confused and start deviating off trails. With so many of those trails that are close together (Redhawk and Wolverine at a few key points within eyesight of the trail head), it can be tempting to jump across.
            We know, its one reason we keep the mileage descriptions up. In hopes that most people will select the appropriate mileage up front. And there is always the service road as a "bail out" option. It won't ever stop the cut throughs entirely, but hopefully we can cut some of it off with a little education. The new Kiosk at the trail head will hopefully help with the education as well.....as soon as we can get some of the info reprinted, laminated, and put up (maybe this weekend).

And who knows maybe a couple of well place Rubber Copperheads might discourage cut throughs

(I'm joking about that......maybe)

Comment

And who knows maybe a couple of well place Rubber Copperheads might discourage cut throughs

(I'm joking about that......maybe)
              Ok, wife sent me a picture from the trails of NW Community Park on Sunday morning and I immediately thought of this thread.
              She saw it and had to jump over it to get by (yes, it was alive, but apparently not in a big hurry to move) and then thought it was cool and that I'd want to see so she snapped this pic before continuing on her run.
              Attached Files

Comment

Nice "little" rat snake.

We saw an 8 foot bull snake out there a couple of weeks ago. Even though he isn't venomous, anything 8 feet long gets as much room as he wants.

Comment

Nice "little" rat snake.

We saw an 8 foot bull snake out there a couple of weeks ago. Even though he isn't venomous, anything 8 feet long gets as much room as he wants.

Guess I will need to pack some TP in the seat bag and some spare undies in the car....

Comment

Guess I will need to pack some TP in the seat bag and some spare undies in the car....
                    Isn't he pretty?

Comment

OH fudge no.....

I no likey snakes.....

Comment

OH fudge no.....

I no likey snakes.....
                        My wife is cool with snakes, but she said if it had been a tarantula instead of a rat snake she would have run in the opposite direction as fast as she could without even thinking about snapping a pictures.. hah

Comment

Originally posted by brianw76 View Post
                          My wife is cool with snakes, but she said if it had been a tarantula instead of a rat snake she would have run in the opposite direction as fast as she could without even thinking about snapping a pictures.. hah
                          I saw tarantulas out at Arbor Hills last fall.. just wander about on that outer trail....

Comment

This was a post about Grand Park when it started three years ago. Any progress?
                            Licensed to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Comment

There won't likely be any progress until the thing with Exide, the city and the hazmat cleanup is finished. With Stewart Creek having contamination and the creek flowing into Grand Park it puts the whole project on hold. Exide just filed a law suit against the city, so that will likely delay everything even further.
                              “There are 2 ways to fight the United States Military: Asymmetrically and stupid.- H.R. McMaster

Comment

Not holding my breath

Comment

Working...
                                X