Yoga DVD or Studio Recommendation?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yoga DVD or Studio Recommendation?

I'm looking to start doing some yoga in addition to my running. I'm wanting an at-home DVD to try. Any recommendations?

I will also take any recommendation for a yoga class locally if you have one. Any time I've ever looked into it, though, the price was so exorbitant I just couldn't do it. If it was reasonable, I would definitely consider a class setting - it's much more motivating than doing it on your own!

Thanks!
    Running is my sunshine.

http://www.joanneyoga.com/site/YogaU...to_India_.html

This is my fav teacher! She is EXCELLENT if you need modifications for injuries or rehab, and also teaches sport-specific yoga poses to compliment a training workout. My son plays hockey and wrestles and the stretches he's learned are very helpful!

ETA- You may want to take classes for a month or two to make sure your poses get corrected for form before doing dvd's (or podcasts like I do) at home.
    Last edited by pitakelly13; 02-23-2012, 09:16 AM.
    We need to stop telling our 4 year old daughters "He only hits you because he likes you." Think about the message you are sending! Maybe we can raise a new generation that won't tolerate domestic violence.

Comment

Any other recs?

Pitakelly13 - your link is good, wish she had prices on there, but I'll call.
      Running is my sunshine.

Comment

I liked yoga on the wii fit. I live in Plano but I thought the rec center class was good for the price. Wii fit before taking the class helped me...but I learn better on my own.

ETA that yoga classes occassionally show up on groupon.
        I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by rayearth View Post
          I liked yoga on the wii fit. I live in Plano but I thought the rec center class was good for the price. Wii fit before taking the class helped me...but I learn better on my own.

I actually live in Plano, too - I'll check out the Rec centers! Thanks.
          Running is my sunshine.

Comment

I use the P90X yoga DVD. My only complaint is it's a little long. I actually prefer Pilates, but yoga does a wonderful job stretching and relaxing me!
            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Originally posted by rayearth View Post

rayearth - which rec center yoga class did you take? There's a lot of them on there, I was thinking a beginner version, but I wondered what you did.
              Running is my sunshine.

Comment

Originally posted by SkiBum View Post
                rayearth - which rec center yoga class did you take? There's a lot of them on there, I was thinking a beginner version, but I wondered what you did.
                It was one of the beginner classes but was so long ago I don't remember which one.
                I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Yoga

Originally posted by SkiBum View Post
                  I'm looking to start doing some yoga in addition to my running. I'm wanting an at-home DVD to try. Any recommendations?

I will also take any recommendation for a yoga class locally if you have one. Any time I've ever looked into it, though, the price was so exorbitant I just couldn't do it. If it was reasonable, I would definitely consider a class setting - it's much more motivating than doing it on your own!

Thanks!
                  I am a Yoga Instructor (new) with Yoga Fit. If you want to get together I'm sure we can work something out that is reasonable for you. (Especially if you had a few friends.)
                  Melissa Eakin
                  972-746-6392

Comment

There is a class that meets in a church on Tuesday and Thursday nights for free. I went when I lived in Plano and loved it. I worked with them almost through the end of my pregnancy and she was great about giving modifications when I needed it. She also asks before the class starts if there is anything we wanted to work on specifically. I love when I'm able to go even though it's really hard for my schedule now. I can't remember the name of the church but it's on 15th east of Independence. Here is her email rrettig3@verizon.net Good luck!

Comment

I would probably recommend going to a class to get an understanding of the basics, but after that a video would be fine.

I tend to use Baron Baptiste's Power Yoga (he is a bit of a narcissist, but the workout is good)

Comment

I got several Yoga videos about a decade ago. The problem is, most of them assume someone was (is) already flexible and comfortable moving at a fast pace. Finally, I found a Yoga DVD by Marlon Braccia for my back that is fantastic! I have more of her DVD's and she does a great job, has a pleasant voice and has several routines, depending on what you're looking for. Her website is www.askyogimarlon.com and I use her tapes every week. I have also used her routines with our sons, who are now college football players, and it helped them. The Tennessee Titans do yoga as a team, we were informed by one of their former players.

Riley Wilson
                        www.guitarmadesimpler.com
                        riley@guitarmadesimpler.com
                        (214) 529-8472

Comment

+1 for the P90X yoga DVD. Sometimes I skip the last 30 min since its 90 min long. You might be able to get one by itself from beach body but it might be easier to go through Craigslist.

Comment

Working...
                          X