Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 in 2 new graduates are jobless or underemployed

http://m.yahoo.com/w/news_america/1-...us&.lang=en-us

While there's strong demand in science, education and health fields, arts and humanities flounder.

"I don't even know what I'm looking for," says Michael Bledsoe, who described months of fruitless job searches as he served customers at a Seattle coffeehouse. The 23-year-old graduated in 2010 with a creative writing degree.On the other end of the scale, the southern U.S., anchored by Texas, was most likely to have young college graduates in higher-skill jobs. College graduates who majored in zoology, anthropology, philosophy, art history and humanities were among the least likely to find jobs appropriate to their education level; those with nursing, teaching, accounting or computer science degrees were among the most likely.
    Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as "one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset." (NYTimes, March 6, 2007)

Almost seems pointless to get a degree these days..
    moths are attracted to the showroom bright glow of LCD..

Comment

That low interest rate still does no good when you aren't making anything...
      The mountains are calling and I must go. - John Muir

Comment

Originally posted by bizguy View Post
        That low interest rate is set to double in July.
        Mr. Obama recalled the opening lines of the Arabic call to prayer, reciting them with a first-rate accent. In a remark that seemed delightfully uncalculated (it'll give Alabama voters heart attacks), Mr. Obama described the call to prayer as "one of the prettiest sounds on Earth at sunset." (NYTimes, March 6, 2007)

Comment

I get more enjoyment out of being in Class than being at work.

I'm not sure thats saying I'm in a good program.....or that I just don't like work.
          If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?
          I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

That is why you should get a nursing, teaching, accounting or computer science degree..

Comment

Originally posted by bizguy View Post
              This is what I don't get and why I'm dumbfounded at how easily manipulated these supposedly educated people are. They are more concerned with a jump in interest rates on their loans (loans they didn't really need if they would have made better choices in selecting an affordable school for them, worked to pay for their school or taken fewer classes per semester and paid for school but that is another thread all together) then their prospects of GETTING A JOB WHEN THEY ARE DONE??

Like Romney said last night, It's still about the economy and we are not stupid....although I'm afraid some really are that stupid.
              The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally, not a 20 percent traitor. - Ronald Reagan

Comment

Loans and interest rates is not the problem..

Its the cost of school..

The people who get degrees in fields that are not demanding is a different topic..

Comment

Originally posted by Tooleman View Post
                  Loans and interest rates is not the problem..

Its the cost of school..

The people who get degrees in fields that are not demanding is a different topic..
                  Costs of school and easy access to loans go hand in hand....If school didn't POINT the students to get these loans and the kids had to actually, you know, work and pay for school the costs would come down.
                  The person who agrees with you 80 percent of the time is a friend and an ally, not a 20 percent traitor. - Ronald Reagan

Comment

That plus all the stupid classes they make you take that are a waste of time.. and money..

Comment

That plus all the stupid classes they make you take that are a waste of time.. and money..
                      You know there are so many easy ways around this economically. How about taking your first couple of years of school, those core non-major classes classes at a local community college? These classes will easily transfer to ANY major university and you can work and go to school and SAVE in order to afford your last two years of college. Sure you miss out on the fun and binge drinking and all that but college is suppose to be about setting you up to be a successful adult not to see ho many beers you can drink.

The point is kids are unnecessarily taking on these loans when if they were smart and maybe had better guidance from their parents and the schools they wouldn't be staring at huge mounds of debt when they graduate.

Comment

A poor economy which doesn't create many jobs is reflective of European like policies that Obama favors. Young people who support him are killing themselves with the crushing debt he has created and the lack of job opportunities.

Any young person who supports Obama is self inflicting the wounds.
                        There are 3 things that America will be remembered for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: The Constitution, Jazz music, and Baseball. These are the 3 most beautiful things this culture's ever created. Gerald Early

Comment

Originally posted by TPW View Post
                          You know there are so many easy ways around this economically. How about taking your first couple of years of school, those core non-major classes classes at a local community college? These classes will easily transfer to ANY major university and you can work and go to school and SAVE in order to afford your last two years of college. Sure you miss out on the fun and binge drinking and all that but college is suppose to be about setting you up to be a successful adult not to see ho many beers you can drink.

The point is kids are unnecessarily taking on these loans when if they were smart and maybe had better guidance from their parents and the schools they wouldn't be staring at huge mounds of debt when they graduate.
                          But there ain't no drunken frat parties at CCC... it is all about them getting that "college experience"

Comment

Originally posted by ThisCharmingMan View Post
                            A poor economy which doesn't create many jobs is reflective of European like policies that Obama favors. Young people who support him are killing themselves with the crushing debt he has created and the lack of job opportunities.

Any young person who supports Obama is self inflicting the wounds.
                            Even in a good economy, if you do not have a degree in a demanding field you will still have problems finding a job..

Comment

Even in a good economy, if you do not have a degree in a demanding field you will still have problems finding a job..
                              I would modify that statement from "demanding" to "in demand" - there are demanding majors where you have to study alot that still result in no job opportunities....

Comment

Working...
                              X