Prayer room at Frisco Liberty HS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prayer room at Frisco Liberty HS

Very proud of Liberty High School and FriscoISD.
    The student news site of Liberty High School in Frisco, Texas

Be interesting to see if the ACLU is going to weigh in on this.
    There are 3 things that America will be remembered for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: The Constitution, Jazz music, and Baseball. These are the 3 most beautiful things this culture's ever created. Gerald Early

Comment

Be interesting to see if the resident atheists on here weigh in with outrage over allowing religion in education. I highly doubt it. Since the Muslims now have their own room why not one for Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Zarathustrians, Scientologists..... It'll never stop.

Liberty and FISD, you have opened a can of worms which you will never be able to close.

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Comment

Originally posted by OKTX View Post
        Be interesting to see if the resident atheists on here weigh in with outrage over allowing religion in education. I highly doubt it. Since the Muslims now have their own room why not one for Christians, Buddhists, Hindus, Zarathustrians, Scientologists..... It'll never stop.

Liberty and FISD, you have opened a can of worms which you will never be able to close.

As long as they allow all of the religions use of said room and don't organize anything lead by teachers or other school staff, I see no issue with finding a use for an otherwise unused room.

The real test will be when the church of satan wants to use the room for something.

Comment

Originally posted by OKTX View Post

Agnostic and not in favor of muslim prayer rooms in schools at all. As long as every religion is allowed in the room I'm not sure whether or not I would actually do something about it but I wouldn't be happy about it.
          Last edited by rayearth; 03-14-2017, 03:45 PM.
          I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

Originally posted by Mugzy View Post

As long as they allow all of the religions use of said room and don't organize anything lead by teachers or other school staff, I see no issue with finding a use for an otherwise unused room.

The real test will be when the church of satan wants to use the room for something.
            No doubt

Comment

Apparently our Attorney General and chief money waster Ken Paxton has taken issue with the Liberty High prayer room. He's positioning it as a Muslim room which it is not for his own selfish political gain.

Way to F it up again Ken.

Comment

I don't think anyone takes issue with freedom of religion. It's the fact that FISD is using publically funded classroom space for religious practices of any kind during regular school hours. While no one had ill intent in this case, it does bring to light the issue of how we define separation of church & state.

Comment

Another point, if FISD allows this at one school....then it should be allowed at all schools. So do we have enough tax dollars, "extra space", for this? It's really hard to continue asking the public for more funds when we suddenly seem to have plenty of room. It really doesn't have anything to do with practicing the Muslim faith. It is more about how publically funded space is being used during regular school hours in my opinion.

Comment

Frisco ISD Response to Attorney General Letter

Mar 17, 2017

Frisco ISD has released the following letter, which will be submitted to the Texas Attorney General in response to an inquiry sent March 17 to Superintendent of Schools Dr. Jeremy Lyon. Download a PDF of the Frisco ISD's response.

March 17, 2017

Mr. Andrew Leonie
                    Deputy Attorney General
                    Attorney General of Texas
                    Post Office Box 12548
                    Austin, Texas 78711-2548

Re: Letter to Frisco Independent School District Dated March 17, 2017

Dear Mr. Leonie:

This is in response to your letter dated March 17, 2017, included as part of a “Press Release” to the media.

As an initial matter, Frisco ISD appreciates the acknowledgment of the Texas Office of Attorney General (“OAG”) that the District is in compliance with federal and state laws and regulations regarding freedom of religion. However, your letter to me begins by indicating it is written following an “initial inquiry” that “left several questions unresolved.” What initial inquiry are you referring to? To Frisco ISD’s knowledge, it has not received any inquiry from the OAG on this issue. Frisco ISD requests documentation of any and all efforts by the OAG to contact the District prior to your office issuing its “Press Release” to the media. Absent such evidence, this “Press Release” appears to be a publicity stunt by the OAG to politicize a non-issue. The principal of Liberty High School noted in his interview there have not been any issues for over seven (7) years with this room, that is, however, until the OAG’s “Press Release.” It is important to note Frisco ISD is greatly concerned that this type of inflammatory rhetoric in the current climate may place the District, its students, staff, parents and community in danger of unnecessary disruption.

In your letter, you state it is unclear whether students of other faiths may use the prayer room at the same time or at other times during the week. Further, you state it appears students are being treated differently based on their religious beliefs. Frisco ISD requests any and all evidence the OAG has in its possession of any religious group and/or individual requesting access to this room or any other room for their religious practices. In addition, Frisco ISD requests documentation of any complaints to the OAG.

In an article related to the one you referenced, the principal of Liberty High School addressed your questions in his interview stating with respect to the room, “if others wanted to go in and learn and see and experience that, they’re OK with that.” A link to the full article and interviews (with additional references) is below:

http://stories.kera.org/changing-fac...rs-stereotypes

As the article confirmed, the reason for the prayer room is to accommodate the practices of students who would otherwise miss two hours of class time to travel once a week to and from prayer. The District is prohibited from failing to reasonably accommodate and/or discriminating against these students because their religion dictates the time and manner of their prayer. Ironically, it appears your office did not notice further examples of accommodations at Liberty High School provided to students of other religious groups. In particular, the article cites a student, who was the president of the school’s Bible study group, who organized a forum on religious diversity. The student provides meaningful insight regarding the need for tolerance and understanding.

As the OAG is aware, Frisco ISD is required to comply with Section 110.003 of the Texas Civil Practice and Remedies Code, otherwise known as the Texas Religious Freedom Restoration Act (the “Act”). The Act provides:

(a) Subject to Subsection (b), a government agency may not substantially burden a person's free exercise of religion.

(b) Subsection (a) does not apply if the government agency demonstrates that the application of the burden to the person:

(1) is in furtherance of a compelling governmental interest; and

(2) is the least restrictive means of furthering that interest.

TEX. CIV. PRAC. & REM. CODE §110.003 (West 2016). Recent quotes from the OAG’s office indicate the OAG firmly supports the Act and its enforcement. The letter from your office ignores the District’s obligations in this regard. Confusingly, however, the OAG’s office applauds the Frisco ISD’s “willingness to guarantee the freedom of student-led religious groups” which is exactly what is required under the Act.

It is Frisco ISD’s hope that this “clarification” will resolve any concerns expressed by the OAG’s office and closes this matter. Ideally, the Frisco ISD would appreciate a “Press Release” acknowledging the District’s compliance with federal and state laws and regulations to clear up any confusion resulting from the March 17th letter and “Press Release.”

Sincerely,

Dr. Jeremy Lyon
                    Superintendent of Schools

http://www.friscoisd.org/news/distri...17/ag-response

Comment

AAHhhh, I love it. Turning the State's own law back on itself. Suck it Kenny boy.

Comment

From reading the article it makes it sound like it set up and geared toward Muslims. Muslim faith remind me of cigarette smokers, they always have to take a smoke break a few times per day.

Heck if Frisco ISD is going to start to accommodate Muslims and their faith, will they soon set up room so the guys can practice polygamy? I understand it is common practice in Muslim communities for the man to have 3 to 4 wives.

Comment

So long as room is open to all who wish to be there (ie girls and those who are not Muslim are allowed in room at same time) then I have no problem. School also has to be willing to close room if needed for school purpose, regardless of who may want room during school hours.

Comment

The policy of public school system is provide a religiously neutral educational environment for our kids and to support the unity in diversity. What FISD has introduced in its Liberty HS is against this. Wonder how parents of the school support this and who would've voted for this. Not a merit decision by FISD..

Comment

The Muslim religion is not compatible with western society. This is just another example. They need a special time and place to pray, so the school accommodates them.

Comment

Working...
                              X