Good Series/Chapter Books for boys age 7/8

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Series/Chapter Books for boys age 7/8

I'm wanting to start reading a series book with my son daily like Harry Potter but not HP cause I'm sooooo not into that! Are there any other good books that could be an ongoing thing to read with my son?

Thanks!
    Jessica

Fair is not giving each child the exact same thing, it is giving each child what they need.

My daughter likes the Magic Treehouse series. She goes through a couple a week. There's also Goosebumps, Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Hardy Boys.

Comment

Originally posted by Muffin View Post
      My daughter likes the Magic Treehouse series. She goes through a couple a week. There's also Goosebumps, Diary of a Wimpy Kid or Hardy Boys.
      We love Magic Tree House too. Also Andrew Lost, Junie B. Jones. For boys there is a whole series of fiction with boy protagonists for a bunch of different sports. I can't think of the name but a librarian would know. Very interesting series.

Hardy Boys are good --the vocabulary is a little advanced for that age, but we take turns reading to make it a bit easier.

Comment

+1 for Magic Tree House. That series showed my then 7 year old that reading didn't have to be a chore that he was made to do. The stories are fully of adventure without being scary. Goosebumps is a little more on the "scary" side but also good.

And even though you aren't interested in it, HP turned my now 9 year old into an avid reader.

Good luck. There are so many great choices.

Comment

Jigsaw Jones, Boxcar children, Encyclopedia Brown

Comment

What grade is he going into?

My son loved sports at that age and any of the Babe and Me, Honus and Me.. they are about a boy that goes back in time and meets someone famous and tells about them froma first hand account. There are quite a few in that series.

On the Run was read at about the end of 3rd grade by both my son and daughter.. It is a series about a children that found evidence that their parents were wrongly arrested and jailed. The book has them running from the guys that set their parents up while trying to break them out of federal prison.. There are 6 in the series and then a 3 book set when the daughter of the series gets kidnapped and the brothers save her. These should be read in order.

Boxcar Children is an old series but a good one. Children run away because they are going to be sent to their mean grandfather (or so they think) and they live in a boxcar... then it goes into I don't know how many books in the series of various mysteries they solve one they meet and like their grandfather.. I know you can get these at Half Price Books. It is important to read the Boxcar Children first to learn about thier lives but after that it really doesn't have to be read in order.

You can also go on line and check books recommended by the school district(s) for summer. I also had to remember that my son had very different interestes and rarely liked series books. He likes a start and finish and the series were too much for him (still) and he tends to read non-fiction. He likes to read for information.

Comment

Hank the Cowdog! Also, the Michigan Chillers and American Chillers by Jonathan Rand...my son really got into those when he was 9 or 10.

Comment

I JUST finished the Harry Potter series last night. I am typically not into that genre either, but really loved these books. They have rekindled my desire to read, too. If you truly have no interest, please keep them in mind for your son when he is a more independent reader.

Comment

My son's favorites at that age were: http://www.amazon.com/Lightning-Thie...1180579&sr=8-6 and all the books that followed in the series.

They are easier and faster to read than HP but similar styling so his taste segued naturally into HP afterward, and the movie of book 1 is available on DVD. We also talked a lot about true Greek Mytholgy and bought 'educational' books about the Greeks afterward.
                  We need to stop telling our 4 year old daughters "He only hits you because he likes you." Think about the message you are sending! Maybe we can raise a new generation that won't tolerate domestic violence.

Comment

Just saw this and thought it might be helpful...

http://www.commonsensemedia.org/book-lists

Comment

My 9th old read everything Roald Dahl this year

Georges marvelous medicine
                      Witches
                      Danny, champion of the world

Half price have all of them
                      :)

Comment

The Henry Huggins series by Beverly Cleary
                        A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jcastles View Post
                          I'm wanting to start reading a series book with my son daily like Harry Potter but not HP cause I'm sooooo not into that! Are there any other good books that could be an ongoing thing to read with my son?

Thanks!
                          The "Hank the Cowdog" series are great for boys or girls of that age.

Comment

The Gregor series by Suzanne Collins!

Comment

We are really enjoying reading the 39 Clue series.
                              "These 2 things I know, I am a great sinnner and Christ is a Great Savior." John Newton
                              The most memorable people in life will be the friends who loved
                              you when you weren't very lovable.

Comment

Working...
                              X