Menu

Announcement

Collapse

FOL Upgrades Complete

If you encounter any issues with the forums or the website, please report them in the following thread http://www.frisco-online.com/forums/...ew-site-issues
See more
See less

Sylvan, Kumon or Mathnasium

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sylvan, Kumon or Mathnasium

If your child needed tutoring would you choose Syvan, Kumon or Mathnasium and why?

Thanks for your input!!
    Rosewood
    Explore, Learn, Create, and Grow

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post
    If your child needed tutoring would you choose Syvan, Kumon or Mathnasium and why?

Thanks for your input!!
    It is because Texas Public Education is an Oxymoron. Frisco has high test scores because home prices are high enough to keep the riff-raff out to the school and prevents them from lower test scores.

Comment

I'd hire a private tutor. What age is your child/children? PM me for more information if interested.

Comment

Anyone have experience with any of these places? I have an 11 year old that is good in math and wants to stay focus during the summer and be ready for middle school math/algebra. I also have a 4th grader that has a bit of difficulty with her reading comprehension and want to get her a tutor so she does not fall behind this coming school year.

Comment

Originally posted by Rosewood View Post

Thanks for your input!!
          I only have experience with Sylvan and I would not recommend them. Keep in mind that this has been several years ago, but the improvements shown on the Sylvan testing did not carry over into real life results. A private tutor worked best for us.
          "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

I have worked at Sylvan and used Kumon. Sylvan is overpriced, IMHO, and at the time I worked there used commercially available workbooks. Granted they started where a child was by testing them, but not worth the cost if you ask me.

Kumon is lots of repetition and practice, but it really makes things concrete and works on making a child successful by adding onto what they know in small, sequential steps.

I don't know anything about Mathnasium. Their website looks interesting, though.

Comment

Tutoring

I have worked at Sylvan, Huntington Learning Center, and Kumon before I started my own private tutoring business. I no longer tutor, so when parents and former clients ask, I recommend Kumon. Besides a private tutor, Kumon seems to be the best fit for most students. Sylvan is overpriced. Kumon is drill and practice and somewhat repetitive, but I like that because I believe that whats missing with some students. They learn a concept and never get a chance to practice and master that concept. I hope this helps.
              Last edited by mattsmom&dad; 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM. Reason: misspelled words

Comment

My child went to Kumon and it was working in the beginning. After a few months, it became a daunting task to have my child solve those worksheets. The benefits were not in line with the $ spent. One of my friend told me about an online program called tabtor and her fantastic experience. I agreed to give it a try for 1 month and it worked wonders. Now, my child is doing tabtor since 5 months and her progress has been tremendous. She is already doing math higher than her grade level. It saved me $ and time as I no longer have to drive my kid to a learning centre. If you are open to trying online programs, you must check this out - www.tabtor.com

Comment

My child is a bit younger than yours but have you looked into Tutor Doctor? We're using them and I love our tutor. She comes to our house once a week and we've and the teachers have seen significant improvement. One of the things I really liked is that they spoke with our child and did a little tutoring with her and then decided which tutor they had on staff would be a good fit for her.

Comment

We did Mathnasium for about 1.5 years and loved it becuase it wasn't 'extra' work but supported the work going on in the classroom. The last thing we needed was MORE homework to be stressed over!! The tutors (I think they were called coaches) were great and then environment was fun and conducive to learning. We did a couple of the Friday night things they did -- parent drop kids for pizza and math based games for the night. It made the difference we needed.

Comment

Sylvan, Kumon or Mathnasium

We did Kumon for a few years off an on.
                      Pros - it does provide repetition for the foundation concepts e.g. multiplication tables, so that kids can process math problems faster.
                      Cons - children can get weary of the 5-10 pages they have to do every day.

Kids that are structured book learners can do Kumon successfully, however some children may need to try something else. My younger is a more structured learner so Kumon worked better for her. My older used www.ixl.com and that allowed her to jump between topics. Hope this helps

Comment

I just signed my daughter up for an IXL membership last week. It enables her to practice current grade math areas, as well as challenge herself on more advanced grade concepts when she is ready. I like the fact that students can focus on specific topic areas to help reinforce concepts and work on problem areas. Side Note: Many of the local private schools use IXL during the school year, as well as assign 30 min./week over the summer.

Comment

Working...
                        X