Menu

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can you make Enchiladas ahead of time? (chicken/cheese/beef)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can you make Enchiladas ahead of time? (chicken/cheese/beef)

I offered to help out with dinner a couple of times when our family will be visiting my brother-in-law's, since we'll be there for about 5 days. There will be 16 people then.

I had planned on making the chicken enchilada & cheese enchiladas ahead of time. I had plan on freezing them before they were ready to be put in the oven.

I've never done this before so I wanted the knowledgeable cooks of FOL to give me their comments, suggestions, and to confirm (hopefully) that's it's okay to do this.- that there are no difference doing it this way vs. the regular way.

Thanks for any suggestions/comments.

You can do it but the tortillas (corn or flour) will be slightly mushy. If possible, I would do them to the point of putting the sauce over the top and then freeze them.

Comment

My husband's enchiladas taste better when they are made a head of time. But he does his the day before. We never tried freezing then heating them up. But they are not mushy from being in the fridge overnight. They have more flavor then when he makes them and cooks them right away.

Comment

Originally posted by kristenm View Post
        My husband's enchiladas taste better when they are made a head of time. But he does his the day before. We never tried freezing then heating them up. But they are not mushy from being in the fridge overnight. They have more flavor then when he makes them and cooks them right away.
        Can you post or pm his recipe? i heart chicken enchiladas but never found a good homemade recipe.

Comment

Let me try to find it or have him write it down. He goes by memory

Comment

I have done it both ways, making ahead and leaving and the fridge and freezing them. They turn out fine, but I would leave the cheese and sauce on top off until you bake them.
            "There's quite a difference, isn't there, between what was and what should have been. There's an awful lot of one but there's an infinity of the other." - The Doctor

Comment

Originally posted by kristenm View Post
              Let me try to find it or have him write it down. He goes by memory
              Oh thank you!!!!

Comment

I have made cheese enchiladas with carne sauce and topped with cheese the day before, no problems or taste difference here. I cover with foil and stick them in the oven while it preheats to 350 or 375 degrees. Uncover after about 15 minutes and continue baking for about another 15 - 20 minutes or until they are good and hot, the cheese melted in the middle, sauce bubbling around the edges. I do a pretty big pan too, about 10 or so good size enchiladas

Comment

Working...
                X