Insect bites on paws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Insect bites on paws

I'm not sure if our dog got into a fire ants, mosquitos or what, but her paws are very bit up. Is there a hydrocortizone or other anti itch medication.

Dogs can take Benadryl. Just make sure it's only diphenhydramine and nothing else. Contact your vet for the dosage. You don't want to put meds on the feet if she can get to it, as some are poisonous if ingested.
    "Rescued" is my breed of choice.

Comment

Yea, I think she is gonna need to tough this one out.

Comment

The Benadryl works. You just have to make sure it's not one of the combo meds with another drug in it. My five pound dog takes 1/4 of the tiny pill for seasonal allergies. You might need to put a cone on her so she doesn't cause a secondary infection by licking the sores.

Comment

My dogs will be put down before I will put them in a cone.

Comment

A little dramatic, don't you think?
            Last edited by sundae; 09-08-2016, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Not really, my dogs have pride.

Comment

You know what they say about pride....and the subsequent fall. The pro-collars are an easy compromise. They look like a little innertube and the dogs do so much better with them than the traditional Elizabethan collars. They're great for injuries/ wounds on the front part of the dog or cat.

Comment

I used Benadryl last summer - it helped

Comment

Mine are having the same problems with their paws. To avoid yeast/or other infection from constant licking I bought hot spot spray/bitter apple type and use the phrase "stop licking or I get the spray"...after a couple of times spraying they get the idea and leave it alone. I have also discovered as long as there are no raw spots, dabbing with braggs apple cider vinegar not only helps healing but helps with itching. It worked wonders when our new addition came to us with a case of demodex mange...now I treat holistically in addition to traditional medicine. Good luck!

"WHATEVER YOU ARE, BE A GOOD ONE" - ABRAHAM LINCOLN

Comment

Working...
                    X