The world ended on 9/23

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The world ended on 9/23

Looks like I will have to move the reminder on my calendar from 9/23 to 10/15.

The conspiracy theorist who supposedly predicted the world would end on September 23 has clarified his doomsday prophecy, saying the rapture is, in fact, coming in October. David Meade, a self-proclaimed "researcher" and Catholic who hit global headlines last week, believes the end of the world as we know it, as foretold in the biblical Book of Revelation, will take place next month and the 23rd was simply a sign of the oncoming of the oncoming disaster. Writing on his website, Meade clarified his belief that the 23rd is the date of a “historical event” in the skies that would signal the oncoming rapture. Doomsday itself, he says, will begin on October 15.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/m/d1...ending-in.html

Originally posted by sandiego_to_frisco View Post
    Looks like I will have to move the reminder on my calendar from 9/23 to 10/15.

The conspiracy theorist who supposedly predicted the world would end on September 23 has clarified his doomsday prophecy, saying the rapture is, in fact, coming in October. David Meade, a self-proclaimed "researcher" and Catholic who hit global headlines last week, believes the end of the world as we know it, as foretold in the biblical Book of Revelation, will take place next month and the 23rd was simply a sign of the oncoming of the oncoming disaster. Writing on his website, Meade clarified his belief that the 23rd is the date of a “historical event” in the skies that would signal the oncoming rapture. Doomsday itself, he says, will begin on October 15.

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/m/d1...ending-in.html

At least you are using your free time in some way.
    I suppose watching paint dry gives the same outcome, however.

Comment

My parents have an 8mm film from 1955 of a parade in San Antonio. Walking in the parade was a man with long hair and a beard carrying a sign that says "The End is Near."

Its the foundation of TV evangelists to get money. "Buy your seat in Heaven NOW!" The End is Near.

Comment

Originally posted by MacFrisco View Post
        My parents have an 8mm film from 1955 of a parade in San Antonio. Walking in the parade was a man with long hair and a beard carrying a sign that says "The End is Near."

Its the foundation of TV evangelists to get money. "Buy your seat in Heaven NOW!" The End is Near.
        Maybe for some.

But one way or another The End is in fact Near.
        Where will you go? How do you know? How can you be sure?

Comment

Originally posted by lucas mccain View Post

Maybe for some.

But one way or another The End is in fact Near.
          Where will you go? How do you know? How can you be sure?
          Sure I'm getting older and that last day is getting closer, but I don't really worry about it.

No one knows where they might go or if there is a place to go after they die. Depending on what religion you were born into you might be reincarnated as a seagull, or go to eternal fire, the land of milk and honey and 72 virgins, or you might get to spend eternity praising God. I don't live my life based on some fairy tale possibility.

The only thing that anyone really knows for sure is that we will all die and we will be worm food or a pretty Urn of ashes over the fire place. If something happens after that I say 'surprise me!'

Some big end of times event happening during my lifetime... not likely, nor do I care, life is too short.

Comment

Sure I'm getting older and that last day is getting closer, but I don't really worry about it.

No one knows where they might go or if there is a place to go after they die. Depending on what religion you were born into you might be reincarnated as a seagull, or go to eternal fire, the land of milk and honey and 72 virgins, or you might get to spend eternity praising God. I don't live my life based on some fairy tale possibility.

The only thing that anyone really knows for sure is that we will all die and we will be worm food or a pretty Urn of ashes over the fire place. If something happens after that I say 'surprise me!'

Some big end of times event happening during my lifetime... not likely, nor do I care, life is too short.
            That sounds sad.
            Yes, we WILL ALL DIE. But the Bible says our souls will live on and there are only one of two places you will wind up. Heaven or hell.

I'd suggest spending more time in honest prayer to God. Listen to God's word with an open mind and a honest desire to know the truth.
            I'll warn you up front however. It will completely change your life. You will at the very least have hope and peace. Which in my mind, beats your uncertainty any and every time.

Comment

That sounds sad.
              Yes, we WILL ALL DIE. But the Bible says our souls will live on and there are only one of two places you will wind up. Heaven or hell.

I'd suggest spending more time in honest prayer to God. Listen to God's word with an open mind and a honest desire to know the truth.
              I'll warn you up front however. It will completely change your life. You will at the very least have hope and peace. Which in my mind, beats your uncertainty any and every time.
              I spent most of my life in the world of prayer. I attended Sunday schools, vacation bible schools. I have been a Church going Christian for more than 50 years. I don't think I can do it anymore. None of it makes sense anymore and the more I read the bible the more ridiculous it all seems.

Re-read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the context of a moral omnipotent being. Lot has sex with his daughters after he offers them to a crowd for gang rape?
              Read Genesis 38, the whole short chapter. I could go on for pages of the unbelievable parts of the bible, stories that just don't make any sense..

God is no where to be found. You could not have a party and introduce God to anyone. The only thing we know is when we die we are worm food. No one really knows if there is an existence after death. If you think about it, an eternal existence does not really make sense anyway. What is more likely that Satan will burn you for eternity for being like him, or that he would throw you a big party with 72 virgins? There is no logic in there being a hell. Eternal damnation is outside of human's mental capacity, maybe that's why no one is afraid of hell. its unreal.

Religion is regional. That is strong evidence that religion is man made. In the past 30 years or more, I have read parts of the Book of Mormon, the Koran, the Hindu religions, the Buddha, Confucius, and the Tao. I came to the conclusion that we spend more time choosing which car to drive than we do understanding or choosing a religion. Also, all religions are broken into multiple groups, Christianity has more than 35,000 versions globally. It doesn't look like God is able to word things in a convincing way.

There is an additional problem. If you cannot believe in a religion you are an Atheist. In what other human activity is there a label for not participating? If you don't golf are you an Agolfist? If you don't have a Facebook account are you an Afacebookist? If you don't watch football are you an Afootballist?

There is nothing that more represents ancient human tribalism than being kicked out of the tribe.... ATHEIST!...ATHEIST!... ATHEIST!

This brings me to violence, war, and hatred. Religion makes people evil. Not all people, but enough people that entire army's are built to force religion on others.

So, what does a person do who does not want to anger his or her family, yet can no longer see the humanity in what religions bring to the table of life.

Let's see... we are thinking beings capable of creation.
              Res cogitans.. is defined as a thinking thing.
              Cogitore is Latin for ... To think, ponder, wonder, imagine
              To Cogitate is... To meditate, to ponder, to think deeply.
              Intellegentia is latin for the power of discerning or understanding.

This is the first time I have put this into writing, but I think a new group of people should be formed and call that group Cogitore Intellegentia or Cogitans for short.

People who use the power of thought for what is intelligently discernible. To intelligently perceive the reality of our existence on earth without superstition.

We have magnificent brains capable of making intelligent devices like an iPad out of rock. The screen is polished rock, the case is metal derived from rock, the circuitry is silicon made from beach sand. All powered by 1's and 0's made into a computational language.
              Why do we need pretend invisible friends at this point in human history?

I think its time to put down these imaginary friends, put down our superstitions and move forward with human intelligence.

This is the first time I have ever made this statement. You just helped me make this decision. It is time for the human race to put down its superstitions and move into the real world of human intelligence.

Comment

I spent most of my life in the world of prayer. I attended Sunday schools, vacation bible schools. I have been a Church going Christian for more than 50 years. I don't think I can do it anymore. None of it makes sense anymore and the more I read the bible the more ridiculous it all seems.

Re-read the story of Sodom and Gomorrah in the context of a moral omnipotent being. Lot has sex with his daughters after he offers them to a crowd for gang rape?
                Read Genesis 38, the whole short chapter. I could go on for pages of the unbelievable parts of the bible, stories that just don't make any sense..

God is no where to be found. You could not have a party and introduce God to anyone. The only thing we know is when we die we are worm food. No one really knows if there is an existence after death. If you think about it, an eternal existence does not really make sense anyway. What is more likely that Satan will burn you for eternity for being like him, or that he would throw you a big party with 72 virgins? There is no logic in there being a hell. Eternal damnation is outside of human's mental capacity, maybe that's why no one is afraid of hell. its unreal.

Religion is regional. That is strong evidence that religion is man made. In the past 30 years or more, I have read parts of the Book of Mormon, the Koran, the Hindu religions, the Buddha, Confucius, and the Tao. I came to the conclusion that we spend more time choosing which car to drive than we do understanding or choosing a religion. Also, all religions are broken into multiple groups, Christianity has more than 35,000 versions globally. It doesn't look like God is able to word things in a convincing way.

There is an additional problem. If you cannot believe in a religion you are an Atheist. In what other human activity is there a label for not participating? If you don't golf are you an Agolfist? If you don't have a Facebook account are you an Afacebookist? If you don't watch football are you an Afootballist?

There is nothing that more represents ancient human tribalism than being kicked out of the tribe.... ATHEIST!...ATHEIST!... ATHEIST!

This brings me to violence, war, and hatred. Religion makes people evil. Not all people, but enough people that entire army's are built to force religion on others.

So, what does a person do who does not want to anger his or her family, yet can no longer see the humanity in what religions bring to the table of life.

Let's see... we are thinking beings capable of creation.
                Res cogitans.. is defined as a thinking thing.
                Cogitore is Latin for ... To think, ponder, wonder, imagine
                To Cogitate is... To meditate, to ponder, to think deeply.
                Intellegentia is latin for the power of discerning or understanding.

This is the first time I have put this into writing, but I think a new group of people should be formed and call that group Cogitore Intellegentia or Cogitans for short.

People who use the power of thought for what is intelligently discernible. To intelligently perceive the reality of our existence on earth without superstition.

We have magnificent brains capable of making intelligent devices like an iPad out of rock. The screen is polished rock, the case is metal derived from rock, the circuitry is silicon made from beach sand. All powered by 1's and 0's made into a computational language.
                Why do we need pretend invisible friends at this point in human history?

I think its time to put down these imaginary friends, put down our superstitions and move forward with human intelligence.

This is the first time I have ever made this statement. You just helped me make this decision. It is time for the human race to put down its superstitions and move into the real world of human intelligence.
                That's quite a list to tackle.

If you truly thought you were a believer at one time, then turned your back on Him. You've only proven to never really had faith at all, I suppose.
                You being a student of the Bible should remember Romans 1:17-32. What you described is answered with that verse.
                You are still breathing and God is a God of mercy and grace, so don't give up hope.

Comment

That's quite a list to tackle.

If you truly thought you were a believer at one time, then turned your back on Him. You've only proven to never really had faith at all, I suppose.
                  You being a student of the Bible should remember Romans 1:17-32. What you described is answered with that verse.
                  You are still breathing and God is a God of mercy and grace, so don't give up hope.
                  I hear the comment "turned you back on him" or "rebelling against God" as a first statement from people who are surprised at what I'm saying. This Thanksgiving at my Roman Catholic family reunion on my mothers side of the family I'm sure I'll be asked if I worship Satan as well.
                  Of course Atheist don't believe in any of it, God, Angels, heaven, hell and certainly not Satan.

Its a hard thing to explain. Its not an overnight process, but one day I just had to admit. I just can't buy the song and dance any longer. I might as well believe in the magic pumpkin as I will never see God or a magic pumpkin. In fact no one person has seen a thing.
                  I do know I will tell my family, if God loves me so much... why did he make me an Atheist?

I'm not alone. Current and former religious professionals without supernatural beliefs.

http://clergyproject.org/

Are you a religious professional who no longer believes in the supernatural?
                  Have you remained in vocational ministry, secretly hiding away your non-belief?
                  Are you struggling over where to go from here with your life and career?
                  I think the time of ancient human superstitions is drawing to a close. Maybe 100 years or less.

Imagine that, one less thing to fight and die for that you cannot see.
                  Last edited by MacFrisco; 11-07-2017, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I hear the comment "turned you back on him" or "rebelling against God" as a first statement from people who are surprised at what I'm saying. This Thanksgiving at my Roman Catholic family reunion on my mothers side of the family I'm sure I'll be asked if I worship Satan as well.
                    Of course Atheist don't believe in any of it, God, Angels, heaven, hell and certainly not Satan.

Its a hard thing to explain. Its not an overnight process, but one day I just had to admit. I just can't buy the song and dance any longer. I might as well believe in the magic pumpkin as I will never see God or a magic pumpkin. In fact no one person has seen a thing.
                    I do know I will tell my family, if God loves me so much... why did he make me an Atheist?

I'm not alone. Current and former religious professionals without supernatural beliefs.

http://clergyproject.org/

I think the time of ancient human superstitions is drawing to a close. Maybe 100 years or less.

Imagine that, one less thing to fight and die for that you cannot see.
                    So you just some how morphed into the conclusion that God is not real?
                    That everything you see, everything that has been discovered and is being discovered is ALLLL by chance?
                    Such details involved in space and everything here on Earth and you choose to believe there isn't a Creator of it all?
                    Sounds foolish to me.

That's your choice, not God's intent for your eternal destiny. Yes, God even provides saving faith. However, He also gives you total freedom to accept it or not.

Regarding current and former religious professionals who have followed your path (and many others who profess Christ) will share the same fate as unbelievers.
                    I'm sure you know the Bible already tells us as much.

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.(Mat 7:14)
                    "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
                    (Mat 7:21-23)

The Bible also tells us that believers and unbelievers such as yourself will one day bow before Him, but it will be too late for those who choose not to trust and obey.
                    Such arrogance will be harshly dealt with.

You haven't been my favorite person to dialogue with here on FOL. But I wouldn't wish hell on my worst enemy! Ever!

You will never know peace without knowing and pursuing God. Not now, not in eternity.

Re-think it Mac...

Comment

So you just some how morphed into the conclusion that God is not real?
                      That everything you see, everything that has been discovered and is being discovered is ALLLL by chance?
                      Such details involved in space and everything here on Earth and you choose to believe there isn't a Creator of it all?
                      Sounds foolish to me.

That's your choice, not God's intent for your eternal destiny. Yes, God even provides saving faith. However, He also gives you total freedom to accept it or not.

Regarding current and former religious professionals who have followed your path (and many others who profess Christ) will share the same fate as unbelievers.
                      I'm sure you know the Bible already tells us as much.

For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.(Mat 7:14)
                      "Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. On that day many will say to me, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and cast out demons in your name, and do many mighty works in your name?' And then will I declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from me, you workers of lawlessness.'
                      (Mat 7:21-23)

The Bible also tells us that believers and unbelievers such as yourself will one day bow before Him, but it will be too late for those who choose not to trust and obey.
                      Such arrogance will be harshly dealt with.

You haven't been my favorite person to dialogue with here on FOL. But I wouldn't wish hell on my worst enemy! Ever!

You will never know peace without knowing and pursuing God. Not now, not in eternity.

Re-think it Mac...
                      The bible has it all covered doesn't it? Then the brain kicks in, that pesky brain.

If the all knowing ever present everywhere God put a Tree with forbidden fruit in the Garden of Eden complete with a talking phallic symbol it was a setup. He had to know that Eve would eat the apple, and that Adam would follow or God is not omnipotent. And when the omnipresence of God walked through the garden looking for Adam and Eve who now knew that they were naked, God was not surprised... he knew, he had to know or he is not an omnipresent God.

The story of the Garden of Eden was all a setup.

Page by page the bible crumbles into a laundry list of slavery, rape, genocide, incest and if God was doing all this as an example to us, its no wonder that Hitler took these lessons to mean genocide of undesirable people was God's way. It should not be a surprise when Hitler says that he is doing Gods work.

I don't have any answers as to why the universe has unfolded the way that it has, but I do know now that there was no man made invisible God that has proven to be part of any of it.

Its time for humanity to set down superstitions. If there is a God he/she/ it needs to reveal itself. There is no need for intelligent being to fall prey to the idea of an all powerful yet invisible God.

This explains what I mean.

Comment

Working...
                      X