Religion and Superstition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Religion and Superstition

What is the difference between religion and superstition?

Why do we think that cultures that worshipped the sun are primitive?

Question 1: Religion-Good
    Superstition-Bad

Question 2: People who worshiped the sun had no toilets, therefore "primitive"

Sorry I couldn't help myself

Comment

1. religion is based on duty, superstition is all about mojo

2. I don't think anyone is primitive for worshiping the sun. (I'm quite fond of it, myself). But if they talk to it, I don't want to hang out with them.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister_Beef View Post

Almost weighed in on this when it was first posted, got busy at work...

So basically, the way i see it, religion + ignorance = superstition. As a Christian, i understand my faith to be an unending journey to try to get closer to God and understand God's ways more, and to understand the way He interacted (and still interacts?) in this world in the person of Jesus.

The problem is that many people over the centuries have turned Christianity into a set of rules intended to try to manipulate God, either to achieve eternal salvation or to gain favor on this Earth. This, in my mind, does constitute superstition, although it's a fine line because i don't want to denigrate anyone's tradition, and i think it's extremely complicated. But admittedly, many of us think that if we say the right words, we'll either go to heaven, and/or things will go better for us here on earth.

Personally, i think God's plan for us as humans is much bigger than this, that it goes far beyond how most of us understand things on an individual level. Yes, there is eternal salvation in Christ, but does it really only happen if we say specific words, or do specific things? God is not some "tree-spirit" that will do our bidding if we chant the right things, or some "sun-god" (to the original point) that needs to be appeased.

Christianity is not in-and-of-itself superstition, but the point has to be conceded, that yes indeed, many Christians have turned it into that throughout history.

Comment

Originally posted by Mister_Beef View Post

Religion makes money. Superstition,not so much. But thats about it.

Comment

Originally posted by demvet View Post
            Religion makes money. Superstition,not so much. But thats about it.
            Don't tell that to the rabbit foot industry.
            Just another smartass for lower taxes!!

Comment

If people were honest they would say there is no difference. You can't prove any of it, its all what we choose to believe.

If I were to look at the genocide in the last 100 years I might ask where is God in all of this? For some people their faith gets stronger when the end is near.

It all what you believe.

Comment

Originally posted by MacFrisco View Post
                If people were honest they would say there is no difference. You can't prove any of it, its all what we choose to believe.

If I were to look at the genocide in the last 100 years I might ask where is God in all of this? For some people their faith gets stronger when the end is near.

It all what you believe.
                Who says you can't prove any of it? History proves everything. Now, believing in something for which you have no evidence, that would be unsound. But the things of God can ALWAYS be proven. Just because you don't know where to look doesn't mean there isn't proof. There is plenty of proof -- both scientific and historical proof! If you want to know the truth, just look. We live in the age of information. Everything you desire to know is at your fingertips.

Comment

Originally posted by energy1cls View Post
                  Who says you can't prove any of it? History proves everything. Now, believing in something for which you have no evidence, that would be unsound. But the things of God can ALWAYS be proven. Just because you don't know where to look doesn't mean there isn't proof. There is plenty of proof -- both scientific and historical proof! If you want to know the truth, just look. We live in the age of information. Everything you desire to know is at your fingertips.
                  Examples?

Comment

Now, believing in something for which you have no evidence, that would be unsound.
                    I agree.

Give one piece of actual evidence that a God exists.

Comment

Just because you don't know where to look doesn't mean there isn't proof.
                      proof without proof? Is that what you're saying?

Proof without evidence is a guess.
                      "We should be willing to adjust our beliefs to conform to our knowledge and adjust our actions to conform to our beliefs." -- MM

Comment

Originally posted by hattrick View Post
                        proof without proof? Is that what you're saying?

Proof without evidence is a guess.
                        Just start with ancient history. Compare it with what's written in the Bible. Historians and Biblical scholars alike agree on the accuracy of what's written in scripture as it pertains to historical accounts.

Rather than proving the Bible, I would challenge you to DISPROVE it. Can you? Are you even willing? Or would you rather believe the popular opinion out there in the mainstream that it isn't true and can't be proven? I doubt you even care to know the truth, much less are you willing to prove it true or untrue. Leave it to someone one else to prove, right?

Comment

Originally posted by binz View Post
                          I agree.

Give one piece of actual evidence that a God exists.
                          Ok. Who created the slime from which you supposedly evolved?

Comment

Just start with ancient history. Compare it with what's written in the Bible. Historians and Biblical scholars alike agree on the accuracy of what's written in scripture as it pertains to historical accounts.

Rather than proving the Bible, I would challenge you to DISPROVE it. Can you? Are you even willing? Or would you rather believe the popular opinion out there in the mainstream that it isn't true and can't be proven? I doubt you even care to know the truth, much less are you willing to prove it true or untrue. Leave it to someone one else to prove, right?
                            like you mean the story of noah's ark? Jonah and the whale? Adam & Eve and the garden of Eden? A virgin birth? Turning water into wine?

Your basing your belief in God on an ancient holy book written by a bunch of random often anonymous authors and heavily edited by church elders full of a bunch of obvious nonsense?

hate to break it to ya, but that ain't evidence. There is no evidence. That's why you need faith.

Comment

Ok. Who created the slime from which you supposedly evolved?
                              I don't know how the beginning of time came about. But that doesn't mean I just assume it was a magic man in the sky. Not knowing the scientific answer as to the beginning of time doesn't prove the existence of a supernatural being.

Who created God?

Comment

Working...
                              X