Atheism

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Atheism

Why do so many Atheists study the bible if they don't have faith or believe in a higher being? Why read or even cite the bible?

Regardless of if it is fact or fiction, it is a piece of history and some people like to study history. Or they may have been brought up in a religious family and that is how they know so much about it.

Also, I would think it comes in handy when debating with a "christian" that picks and chooses what rules to follow in the bible.

Comment

Excellent question. Atheist: one who believes that there is no deity
      For many religions, there are foundation documents that describe the basis for that religion. The book of Islam, Mormon as well as the Christian Bible each have information that is worth considering, whether you agree with any or all of it. People read newspapers and audiovisual materials without the requirement of belief. True atheists would consider that studying any of these documents contradicts their self-description. If unbelief is your starting point, why open any of these books?

Comment

Originally posted by Mugzy View Post
        Regardless of if it is fact or fiction, it is a piece of history and some people like to study history. Or they may have been brought up in a religious family and that is how they know so much about it.

Also, I would think it comes in handy when debating with a "christian" that picks and chooses what rules to follow in the bible.
        Exactly this. That and there is lots of killing and stuff in it. Not too many car chases though.

Comment

Originally posted by IBM5081 View Post
          True atheists would consider that studying any of these documents contradicts their self-description. If unbelief is your starting point, why open any of these books?
          Not necessarily, you don't have to believe in something to want to learn more about it. Some people study Greek mythology, does that mean they think Zeus was real?

Comment

Most atheists start out as believers. Studying the bible more closely typically drives them to non-belief.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSkeeter View Post
              Most atheists start out as believers. Studying the bible more closely typically drives them to non-belief.
              Precisely.

Also, this video pretty much covers most of these FAQ/statements:

"Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation." - Jerry DeWitt
              "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Atheism is just like, it's dangerous when you're a teenager, it's interesting in college and after that you're just a drip ... after that you're just a drip that ruins parties by starting everything with, "You seem like an intelligent person" Kyle Kinane.

Last edited by OKTX; 03-26-2014, 08:25 AM.
                I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious bodily fluids.

Comment

If all the Atheists & Agnostics left America, they'd lose 93% of The National Academy of Sciences & less than 1% of the prison population. - Ricky Gervais (

And a lot of those scientists create medicine to help with that drip some are battling...

Comment

I was raised Roman Catholic. 9 years of Catholic school to boot. I used to have very strong faith until I started questioning everything around me and everything I was taught.

I studied the bible back in the day, not so much now. When I do use research its for the "Christians" who quote the bible when it's convenient for their current hatred or argument and leave everything else out.

Edit: Just to be clear, I have nothing against anyone who has faith. If that is what makes you happy then by all means. The ones I have an issue with are the ones who spew hate and intolerance.
                    Last edited by NoRegrets78; 03-26-2014, 10:10 AM.

Comment

"Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation." - Jerry DeWitt
                      "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Because it never hurts to understand the truth. Just in case!

Comment

I'm agnostic but someone neg rep'd me once for quoting a Bible verse. So I put my favorite verse in my sig. I also have a custom painting/calligraphy of that verse by my front door so I read and reflect on it every day. It reminds me not to get too uppity. I still love the book of Proverbs and last I checked the Bible didn't start burning my hands just because I quit believing... I also love reading mythology and Aesop's Fables.

I still try very hard to be respectful to Christians but my mother makes lucas mccain appear reasonable and sometimes when she is on a religious rampage I just get very very tired and I might say something stupid. I plan to ask some friends of the family to take my daughter to the catholic and mormon churches as well as expose her to other religions so she can make up her own mind.
                          I think that sick people in Ankh-Morpork generally go to a vet. It's generally a better bet. There's more pressure on a vet to get it right. People say "it was god's will" when granny dies, but they get angry when they lose a cow. -Terry Pratchett

Comment

It should go without saying, but for one to make an informed decision or to have an informed discussion, one must be informed. Study should be used loosely for myself - I'm certainly not trying to earn a minor in it. But I certainly don't try to inform myself just in case... I didn't check out The Book of the Dead just in case Osiris turns out to be real and the Egyptians nailed it.

It seems most people's exposure to whatever source is via the people preaching it. That's a politician in a pulpit. I prefer to check out the original version and read up on it. When something is written by people who believed burying children under the foundation of a building will prevent an invisible being from knocking it down, I get a bit suspect. Currently, about 10 million children up to age 5 die every year - 19 kids per minute. Where is god? Oh, he was helping Julie and Frank get that mortgage they were praying about - based on testimony from Julie and Frank proclaiming he answered their prayers. I'll take their word for it.

Point is, for me, not seeing the obvious, it was a simple lack of trying. If god is real and he was spending time on Julie and Frank instead of millions of suffering children, that's not someone I'd look to for a moral compass. Now, that's not what I was taught in my strong catholic upbringing. But when I look around me, that's what's occurring. I have to be true to my common sense and acknowledge reality. That old phrase of 'god is mysterious' is just people letting god off the hook and not holding him accountable. If he created all this, there's no one MORE accountable than he.
                            Last edited by TheSkeeter; 03-28-2014, 08:02 AM.

Comment

I was just talking to my hard core Catholic husband about this (he too went to Catholic schools, etc) I ask him how he puts up with my atheist little butt LOL He says that I respect his beliefs so he respects mine. The bible IS history and is important to understand to see how life came to what it is today...

Comment

Working...
                              X