Questions about Church - Believers ONLY please

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions about Church - Believers ONLY please

What do you think the function of a Church should be to an individual and the community?
    What do you think an individuals role should be within a Church? Both non-clergy and clergy

Very interesting question. The bigger question is: What is 'The Church'. Are you talking about the body of Christ, a religion, a building with people of similar beliefs? Is The Church the people who you do life with? (neighbors, co-workers, etc)? Aren't both clergy and non clergy individuals, with flaws and sins?

When you define function, what are you getting at?

Not trying to be a smartalec, but the questions are a bit vague.

A church I belonged to had a mission: To help people find and follow Christ. How that mission was accomplished took many forms.

A home Church I know of has a mission: Do life following the teachings of Jesus Christ in everyday actions.
    Making Dream's come true one family at a time, one house at a time...

Comment

fair question -- "The Church" I am referring to a place you go to worship and serve. Not the body of people as the whole.

Every Church has a mission -- at least I hope they do.

What I am trying to find out is if my thought process is way off on what I think a Church should offer individuals and the community and what role individuals should do to serve.

I want to know personally what people look for in a Church and how they think that translates into actual function in the Church environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Eagle_rc View Post
        A home Church I know of has a mission: Do life following the teachings of Jesus Christ in everyday actions.
        What does this mean to you? that's what I want to know -- everyday actions?

Is that just providing a place to worship -- mission trips -- feeding the hungry? etc.
        What about when members need help due to sickness or personal issues?

And how much of that is the clergy responsible for providing and the Church staff and how much from members.
        And what those functions would be. Who decides the direction of the mission(s)?

Comment

So your referring to a Manmade organization run by member of the human race.
          Each organization typically has a leadership structure put in place by it's founders. Sometimes the structure has evolved over time.

The leadership(typically team) is the steward of resources in most 'Church' organization. Sometimes its an elder committee, some times senior clergy, sometimes dictated by parent organizations.

The leadership team typically set's the agenda/mission for the organization. Sometimes this is based upon religious affiliation, (i.e. baptist, methodist, church of christ, etc).

If the mission of the church is missionary work, or growing local presence, or helping elderly, homeless, etc, then resources are applied to these items. There is no set right or wrong, too little or too much.

Church staff are typically at will employees and/or volunteers. They are directed based on the leadership structure dictated at time of hiring.

The Leadership team(or person) decides the overall direction of the mission, the team or direct reports execute on the mission, based on the amount of resource allocated or available.

Comment

Thanks but that is not what I am asking I understand how Churches are designed to work

I want to know what people think or need or expect from the Church -- personally

Comment

The reason I am asking is because I have personally met (what I would consider men of great faith) three men and a handful of women.

Having said that I have met several pastors and members of Churches and I can't say that they aren't people of great faith but I have not personally experienced their passion for God.

My faith in God has remained steadfast and I seek his counsel daily. However I am becoming disillusioned with the concept of a church and what that should mean to a person of faith and I am wondering if my expectations are unrealistic.

Comment

Sorry...I can't bite my tongue any more. Please forgive me.

There are 2 popular reasons that people consciously have when they think about going to church. 1) to be ministered to and 2) to minister to others. A good church should be able to provide both -- a place for you to learn how to live that also gives you a chance to help others.

What is the role of a pastor? (Assuming you're not Catholic, they don't often have these kinds of questions.) They can be seen as a teacher or as a minister. It is always possible to attend a church that is run by a pastor that you don't respect -- boy howdy, don't I know it. If you are getting nothing from your pastor and you don't have opportunities to grow and minister to others, then it's a rotten church -- rotten for the person left in the lurch anyway.

If by some miracle I became a believer again and had to decide what church to attend, I would first look at the doctrinal statement of the church to make sure it was in line with what I knew (thought) to be true. Then I would look at the Sunday school setup to make sure that I would fit in well -- it would need to be big enough for me to find a few people that share my values. Then I would ensure that the pastor is not taking the church for a ride. There are some red flags that I would watch for:
                Are people having fun rather than learning and serving?
                Does the pastor talk honestly about differences of interpretation of the Bible?
                Does the pastor manipulate people by using overly emotional illustrations and syrupy music at the climax of the sermon?
                Does the pastor make an obscene amount of money and how does he make it?

No pastor is perfect -- I learned to live with that. My only requirement was that he be sincere. (Of course, nowadays I would have to say he or she.) Judging the sincerity of a pastor is a helluva task. I don't envy you. Of the pastors that I have personally met, most of them are really good people. Can I drop names here? Chuck Martin at First Baptist, Craig Cabaniss at Grace, Jim Lugar at Life Journey (in Prosper), Doug Kriz at Grace Christian (in Prosper), Clay Lein at St. Philips -- these guys are seriously honorable people.

Comment

Clay lien is a close friend of mine and one of the three men I was speaking of in my previous post. I have tremdous respect for him however he is no longer at St Philips. He has moved to Houston to serve as a faithful pastor down there.

Comment

Originally posted by LOTRfan View Post
                    Clay lien is a close friend of mine and one of the three men I was speaking of in my previous post. I have tremdous respect for him however he is no longer at St Philips. He has moved to Houston to serve as a faithful pastor down there.
                    Rats! Not that I was planning on ever going to church again, but Frisco has lost a really good person. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Originally posted by MagicMarker View Post
                      Sorry...I can't bite my tongue any more. Please forgive me.
                      Please don't apologize -- I appreciate you taking the time to respond thoughtfully to my question.

There are 2 popular reasons that people consciously have when they think about going to church. 1) to be ministered to and 2) to minister to others. A good church should be able to provide both -- a place for you to learn how to live that also gives you a chance to help others.

What is the role of a pastor? (Assuming you're not Catholic, they don't often have these kinds of questions.) They can be seen as a teacher or as a minister. It is always possible to attend a church that is run by a pastor that you don't respect -- boy howdy, don't I know it. If you are getting nothing from your pastor and you don't have opportunities to grow and minister to others, then it's a rotten church -- rotten for the person left in the lurch anyway.

If by some miracle I became a believer again and had to decide what church to attend, I would first look at the doctrinal statement of the church to make sure it was in line with what I knew (thought) to be true. Then I would look at the Sunday school setup to make sure that I would fit in well -- it would need to be big enough for me to find a few people that share my values. Then I would ensure that the pastor is not taking the church for a ride. There are some red flags that I would watch for:
                      Are people having fun rather than learning and serving?
                      Does the pastor talk honestly about differences of interpretation of the Bible?
                      Does the pastor manipulate people by using overly emotional illustrations and syrupy music at the climax of the sermon?
                      Does the pastor make an obscene amount of money and how does he make it?
                      It is interesting the steps you would take to find a church to meet you needs -- they are very similar to what steps I have gone thru when searching for a church. And when in a healthy state of mind and body I would say the three churches I have regularly attended have provided a wonderful outlet for me and my family to worship and serve God. However there have been a few (thankfully only a few) times in my adult life when I have reached out to a church needing counsel and support and I would say that these are times when I found that the base I thought I was building at whichever church seemed to shift and that is why I guess I am asking -- perhaps my expectations are too much. I guess your thoughts on being ministered too are what I was seeking but in what form does that manifest itself -- is that only in building ones spiritual being or is it to truly help a person back on their feet when they have had a emotional or physical set back. Where should a church draw the line on support --

- - - Updated - - -

Rats! Not that I was planning on ever going to church again, but Frisco has lost a really good person. Thanks for the update.
                      yes -- he is a wonderful person -- and pastor.
                      Last edited by LOTRfan; 11-12-2015, 12:20 PM.

Comment

The reason I am asking is because I have personally met (what I would consider men of great faith) three men and a handful of women.

Having said that I have met several pastors and members of Churches and I can't say that they aren't people of great faith but I have not personally experienced their passion for God.

My faith in God has remained steadfast and I seek his counsel daily. However I am becoming disillusioned with the concept of a church and what that should mean to a person of faith and I am wondering if my expectations are unrealistic.

Ok..Thanks. I was hoping you would get to the real meaning of your questions.

I asked the questions the way I did, as I moved away from 'Dictated Religion' and moved towards a personal relationship with Christ. No longer do I rely upon church/religious leaders to provide/validate my christianity or actions. While I attend a denominational church now, it's because they have moved away from the rigidity of the past, and focus on a grace based relationship and not a guilt based relationship with Christ.

That being said, I have met many church leaders who may not be dynamic, but try to show their passion through actions. However, there actions may be more subtle than you want. However, you may just be facing realism, that pastors, clergy, etc are human, have good days and bad, faults, and are sinners like all of us are.

I have a friend who was sick for a while, who went to 6 different churches because she needed more than the last church was giving from a 'Help' standpoint.

I suggest you evaluate your viewpoint and see if your being realistic, or judgmental, or just confused. You may want to attend different churches to get different perspective if you want. I attended PTCC, a great non-denominational that helped ME Shape my current viewpoint and perspective.

Good luck on the journey..

Comment

I'll Echo a couple of thoughts.
                          Chuck Martin is fantastic(I attend his church the most)

Comment

Ok..Thanks. I was hoping you would get to the real meaning of your questions.

I asked the questions the way I did, as I moved away from 'Dictated Religion' and moved towards a personal relationship with Christ. No longer do I rely upon church/religious leaders to provide/validate my christianity or actions. While I attend a denominational church now, it's because they have moved away from the rigidity of the past, and focus on a grace based relationship and not a guilt based relationship with Christ.
                            This is where I am going with my personal journey -- we visit churches but have stopped attending one church exclusively...

I suggest you evaluate your viewpoint and see if your being realistic, or judgmental, or just confused. You may want to attend different churches to get different perspective if you want. I attended PTCC, a great non-denominational that helped ME Shape my current viewpoint and perspective.
                            This is is why asked the question -- I am self evaluating to try to understand my reaction. Of course it is more difficult right now because of life circumstance is extremely difficult, due to my child's death this year and my normal filter is busted right now. Thus the reason I asked for input from others.

Comment

This is where I am going with my personal journey -- we visit churches but have stopped attending one church exclusively...

This is is why asked the question -- I am self evaluating to try to understand my reaction. Of course it is more difficult right now because of life circumstance is extremely difficult, due to my child's death this year and my normal filter is busted right now. Thus the reason I asked for input from others.
                              I commend you for going on the journey and will say a prayer for you. It's hard for me to comment because I have not walked in your shoes, and didn't know where the questions were leading to.. One thing personally I had to learn in situations, is sometimes you have to ask for help, tell folks what you need, to the point of regularly scheduling meetings with people you need something from. The pastors I have dealt with in the past sometimes had no idea that something was going in someone's life. (You may have done this approach already). Two church functions that helped me specially were my Life(small) Groups and my Men's group. I was able to discuss many life issues, get support, and support others.

Comment

Working...
                              X