Dutch Oven hitting the streets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dutch Oven hitting the streets

While I always enjoyed his antics, the bottom line is you need to perform. When you dog trips you requiring micro-fracture surgery and a missed season - well it's time to move on.

Good riddance. So much hope and potential unfulfilled.
    There are 3 things that America will be remembered for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: The Constitution, Jazz music, and Baseball. These are the 3 most beautiful things this culture's ever created. Gerald Early

Comment

Agree. All the talent in the world, but he could never consistently harness and put it to good use. From a Rangers fan's standpoint, he was one of the most frustrating players to watch in a long time - an occasional flash of brilliance followed by long streaks of mediocrity. Hope he can catch on with another team. Maybe a change of scenery will do him some good.

Comment

The question is how will the Rangers fill out their rotation with Holland gone? Maybe they will pick up Hammel from the Cubs or Hellickson from the Phillies? Desmond wants to play shortstop... Profar has been stuck in the minors, and with other clubs not needing middle infielders as much this year, Desmond has a tough choice to make, and it's going to be hard for the Rangers to get a good trade for Profar. And it's pretty clear the Rangers don't want to part with Andrus or Odor yet...
        "Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation." - Jerry DeWitt
        "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

Originally posted by perseco View Post
          The question is how will the Rangers fill out their rotation with Holland gone? Maybe they will pick up Hammel from the Cubs or Hellickson from the Phillies? Desmond wants to play shortstop... Profar has been stuck in the minors, and with other clubs not needing middle infielders as much this year, Desmond has a tough choice to make, and it's going to be hard for the Rangers to get a good trade for Profar. And it's pretty clear the Rangers don't want to part with Andrus or Odor yet...
          Evan Grant of the DMN thinks the Rangers could secure one of these three pitchers in exchange for Profar: San Diego's Jarred Cosart, Seattle's James Paxton, or Seattle's Taijuan Walker. All three are young and all three are considered to have middle of rotation talent.

Even if they were able to trade for a good arm like one of these three, that still leaves them a starter short with Colby Lewis likely being resigned for the #5 slot. That's 5 starters, but it's highly unlikely those 5 will make it thru an entire season without injury and stints spent on the DL. A.J. Griffith is arbitration eligible and even if the Rangers decide to resign him he's hardly someone they can rely on. Start after start, he consistently proved he has difficulty getting thru the 5th inning. There is very little in the farm system ready to pitch at the major league level. So, I wonder if Daniels isn't going to be forced to dip into the farm talent and trade for not one starter as has been mentioned, but perhaps 2. That, or go into 2017 with a very shaky starting rotation that again will have to rely heavily on the bullpen to get them thru a 9 inning game.

Comment

Originally posted by Green225 View Post

Evan Grant of the DMN thinks the Rangers could secure one of these three pitchers in exchange for Profar: San Diego's Jarred Cosart, Seattle's James Paxton, or Seattle's Taijuan Walker. All three are young and all three are considered to have middle of rotation talent.

Even if they were able to trade for a good arm like one of these three, that still leaves them a starter short with Colby Lewis likely being resigned for the #5 slot. That's 5 starters, but it's highly unlikely those 5 will make it thru an entire season without injury and stints spent on the DL. A.J. Griffith is arbitration eligible and even if the Rangers decide to resign him he's hardly someone they can rely on. Start after start, he consistently proved he has difficulty getting thru the 5th inning. There is very little in the farm system ready to pitch at the major league level. So, I wonder if Daniels isn't going to be forced to dip into the farm talent and trade for not one starter as has been mentioned, but perhaps 2. That, or go into 2017 with a very shaky starting rotation that again will have to rely heavily on the bullpen to get them thru a 9 inning game.
            I don't see them signing Cosart... he gives up too many runs. Paxton and Walker would do just fine though. The Rangers could consider improving their bullpen and going to a 4-man rotation as well. The Padres are considering a 3-man pitching rotation with a packed bullpen... if the Rangers could get a solid long reliever and someone like Aroldis Chapman, they could feasibly have a balanced 4-man rotation with a strong bullpen.
            "Skepticism is my nature. Freethought is my methodology. Agnosticism is my conclusion. Atheism is my opinion. Humanitarianism is my motivation." - Jerry DeWitt
            "That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence." - Christopher Hitchens

Comment

You cannot hit your way to a Championship. You need ARMS.

Comment

Originally posted by perseco View Post

I don't see them signing Cosart... he gives up too many runs. Paxton and Walker would do just fine though. The Rangers could consider improving their bullpen and going to a 4-man rotation as well. The Padres are considering a 3-man pitching rotation with a packed bullpen... if the Rangers could get a solid long reliever and someone like Aroldis Chapman, they could feasibly have a balanced 4-man rotation with a strong bullpen.
                I agree on Cosart, but I think MLB scouts believe he will return to his 2014 form when he was 13-11 and had an ERA under 4.00. He underwent "successful" surgery to remove bone spurs from his pitching arm elbow a few weeks ago. Even if this is wishful thinking, he does have some value given the lack of dependable starters available in the market this off season. Whether he is a good enough risk for the Rangers to part with Profar I don't know. My choice would be Taijuan Walker - still a little unpolished but a strong arm and can eat up innings.

Comment

the time to move Profar is now... no room in the middle infield, and while he's shown signs of potential, he hasn't shown any consistency... trade him while he has value before he's exposed as a bust, which he may or may not be in the end

reminds me a bit of Ruben Mateo... five tool player kept down in the minors mostly until he was "ready"... rangers deemed him untouchable and every team wanted him... while i loathe roger clemens, i believe rangers could've had him if only they included Mateo in a trade in late 90's early '00's... didn't happen, and Mateo never really amounted to much, and after '99 the rangers went downhill after that

ETA: found a good article on this... http://m.mlb.com/news/article/2025762//
                  Last edited by Londoner; 11-16-2016, 03:12 PM.
                  "Obama doesn?t know how to be president. He doesn?t know how the world works. He?s incompetent. He?s an amateur!?
                  - Bill Clinton

Comment

In a very thin free agent market the Rangers took a $10 million flyer on Andrew Cashner who pitched for S.D./Miami last year. Daniels has wanted this guy for a couple of years now. He pitched most of the last season and a half with injuries. Daniels and the Rangers are hoping he can regain the form he had in 2013 and 2014 with San Diego when he had ERAs of right around 3.00.

Comment

Looks like the Whiteys got him.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/211135...n-on-contract/
                      There are 3 things that America will be remembered for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: The Constitution, Jazz music, and Baseball. These are the 3 most beautiful things this culture's ever created. Gerald Early

Comment

Originally posted by ThisCharmingMan View Post
                        8 million a year? Pass for his production here.

Hopefully he gets some new life with a change of scenery

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1771 View Post

You are correct. However, I think $7-8 million is the going rate for a 4-5th arm on your starting core. Baseball salaries are officially totally out of control.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris1771 View Post

It's 6 million a year, with an additional 2 million if he reaches certain milestones.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisCharmingMan View Post
                              Baseball salaries are officially totally out of control.
                              Player payroll as a percentage of total league revenue is far lower in MLB than it is for the other major sports leagues. Upper 30% range IIRC (38%, I believe). It's right at 50% in the NBA, around 47% in the NFL, and 50% in the NHL. If anything, baseball players are underpaid (by quite a bit) relative to their contemporary professional athletes.
                              This space for rent. Inquire within.

Comment

Working...
                              X