Menu

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2017 Special Election: City Council Place 1 - Early Voting starts next Wednesday

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2017 Special Election: City Council Place 1 - Early Voting starts next Wednesday

Found some websites my fellow Frisconians might find helpful in learning more about the candidates running for City Council Place 1.

http://www.friscotexas.gov/1346/2017-Special-Election

http://friscotexas.gov/634/Campaign-Finance-Reports

​​​​​​http://www.dallasnews.com/news/frisc...ecial-election

​​​​​​http://friscostrong.com/wp-content/u...oter-Guide.pdf

Thank You for the information

Comment

Went to a candidate forum last and got a chance to meet the candidates and hear about their views. If you missed it, I think there's another one at 6:30 pm Monday, Jan. 30 at the Collin College Preston Ridge Campus.

Comment

League of Women Voters has put out their questionnaire as well.

http://lwvcollin.org/files/vg_2017special_frisco.pdf
        If you're addicted to cold turkey how do you stop?
        I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

early voting starts tomorrow!!
          Looking for a mortgage, Geoffrey is the Frisco Mortgage Guy!? www.FriscoMortgageGuy.com
          Looking to ride a bike with others? www.FriscoCycling.com
          Looking for a good breakfast club? www.FriscoSunrise.org
          Looking for a great church? www.StPhilipsFrisco.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rebel View Post
            League of Women Voters has put out their questionnaire as well.

http://lwvcollin.org/files/vg_2017special_frisco.pdf
            Thanks, Rebel. I was drawn to Dr. Wang's candidacy when I saw his blurb in the Community Impact Newspaper focusing on city debt. While (almost?) everyone else on the council wants to build bigger and better palaces for billionaire sports team owners, I want another person (in addition to present company) who I believe is also watching the dollars and cents. I also saw he is a data scientist by trade, leading me to believe he will think like I do to the extent that decisions will be guided by facts and logic rather than emotion.

But still, I wanted to give everyone else a shot too as I read over the LWV guide.....

Burden: Not bad overall, but thinks "Frisco needs to offer more affordable housing than it is currently doing" and that there's "not a lot of choice for low income residents." There's potential with the rest of his answers, but I'll keep looking.

Keating: Reflexively disposed to be against him since he's part of the old guard. Talks about how "different price points and diversity of housing product" will "naturally meet the demand of Frisco residents." If there's sufficient natural demand for low-income housing in Frisco, developers will build it. EDC and CDC "have been a strong source of public funding for our growth, while allowing us to keep our tax rates competitive." With as much funding as they're doing to pay for spurring development that will happen anyway, our tax rates should be a hella lot better than "competitive." Loses me for good at the end with "successful (???) public-private partnerships". As I've argued before, PPP's are simply code for the public "partner" (you and me) paying all or most of the costs for large projects while the private "partner" (some billionaire sports team owner and his family) keep all the revenue. Some "partnership" there..... Nope.

Plummer: "I would recommend asking the voters to change the current City Council structure to adjust to a district style city government." ***GONG*** Nope. Next.

Redmond: Don't know why he feels the need to apologize for Frisco being "an upper, middle class suburb," but then later speaks out against more MFH. "I trust that the City Manager and staff have allocated their funds appropriately." is a quote that makes my SpideySense start tingling but redeems himself by asking "Are our capital expenditures truly necessary and valuable to the city?" **cough**hostagenegotiationcommandcenter**cough** Based on the questionnaire, I could vote for him.

Stricklin: Talks about "an influx of multi-family housing into Frisco" and how "many voters have expressed their opinions regarding the rapid urbanization of Frisco," but doesn't say whether these things are good, bad, or otherwise. Not really "for" anything it seems.

Thomas: Punitive fees like "a luxury convenience and use fees on Urban Living developments" are usually a total non-starter with me and I get the sense that he's speaking strictly in platitudes. Perhaps that's just the lawyer in him talking. Regardless, doesn't really do much for me either way.

Vinci: "I also think we need to revisit the option of joining DART and building light rail into Dallas and DFW." I also think I will not be voting for Vinci. ***GONG*** Next.

Wang: "We need to limit the hight-density and multi-family housing because both the city and FISD are under tremendous financial stress. For the quality of life and education, I prefer single-family housing and limit the subsidized housing for low-income residents." Refers to his campaign website for details about his platform.

"Prior to 2011, Frisco only borrowed 10-year bonds. Now we are borrowing 20-year bonds. If the trend continues, we will soon be borrowing 30-year and 50-year bonds. This is a dangerous scheme where we are borrowing new debt to pay back old debt."

"With the long-term interest rate on the rise, borrowing or refinancing will become much more expensive in the future. If we do not exercise fiscal discipline right now, our city will slip into a financial abyss."

"Investment into any big-ticket items should take into account the current debt situation and possible economic downturn in the future."

"High-density and multi-family housing should be limited."

Warach: No response to questionnaire.

Conclusion: (3) Burden. (2) Redmond. (1) Wang.
            This space for rent. Inquire within.

Comment

First cull of candidates was the answer to a potential city funded arts center...

Comment

Sorry, but going to have to scratch Burden from my #3 spot after seeing his new idiotic signs proclaiming him the WINNER of MULTIPLE STRAW POLLS.

What? Is he asking the family every night at the dinner table who they hope wins?

This space for rent. Inquire within.

Comment

Last day to vote.

At the below link there are multiple videos posted of the candidates.

http://friscoteaparty.com/

Comment

I'm voting for whomever all the firemen are supporting.
                    Here's a joke you might not laugh at:
                    All the poorest work the hardest for the smallest
                    Do what you got to do

Comment

Voter turnout was pitiful. Unless their beloved alcohol is on the ballot, people just can't be bothered. smh

Comment

Most Frisco people are too caught up in themselves to worry about something like this.
                        Here's a joke you might not laugh at:
                        All the poorest work the hardest for the smallest
                        Do what you got to do

Comment

Originally posted by pearceg View Post
                          Sorry, but going to have to scratch Burden from my #3 spot after seeing his new idiotic signs proclaiming him the WINNER of MULTIPLE STRAW POLLS.
                          I guess the straw poll voters didn't show up at the actual vote.

Comment

Early voting started yesterday for the runoff election between the two candidates that garnered the most votes first time around. John Keating and Brandon Burden.

Comment

Working...
                            X