Enjoy the City Coupon Books Door to Door *SCAM*

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Enjoy the City Coupon Books Door to Door *SCAM*

On October 24th, I have a very nice, well groomed young hispanic lady come to my house (in west Frisco) selling Enjoy the City - Dallas coupon books for $39.50 claiming it was a fund raiser to raise funds to attend SMU. I don't usually answer the door (let alone BUY anything) unless I am expecting someone, but we thought it was the neighbor girl. The young lady was clean cut, polite & well spoken. I went ahead & ordered a book thinking that even if it isn't legit that it was only $40. I gave her a check & on the back wrote in "For Deposit Only"...just in case.

She had come at a busy time as I was juggling an infant, a toddler, 3rd grader's homework, 6th grader's homework & making dinner. After the kids were in bed, it was still nagging me because she gave me two different answers when I asked when it would be delivered, so I started looking into it. First, I found the books are only supposed to be $20. When I googled the number ( 214-859-8505 ) on the handwritten reciept it actually lead me to this FOL thread.

The next day, I called the number on the Enjoy the City's website, got a voicemail & left a message. I finally heard back from them this morning. It is absolutely a SCAM as the books are only supposed to be $20 as mentioned previously. The woman that called from Enjoy the City said there have been numerous complaints to them about this girl (& her friend) & that the Dallas PD has been unresponsive. I believe that is because they are not actually opperating in Dallas & have been in the smaller cities - she mentioned McKinney & Plano as well.

I am trying to get as much info as possible for this lady so that they can find & bring charges against this girl & her friend. They usually cash the checks the next day - sometimes at First National Bank & according to the other thread sometimes at check cashing places...as of now, our check still has not been cashed & I believe that is because I specifically wrote on the back that our check can ONLY be deposited & since the check was written to Enjoy the City, if she doesn't have an account in that name, she can't deposit our check.

If you have had these girls come to your house &/or ordered a book from them for MORE than $20 (usually $39.50 or $49) please let me know so I can put you in contact with the lady from Enjoy the City. She was very nice, apologetic & is sending us a book herself to ensure we are getting one.

I want to be very clear that this is NOT anything bad against Enjoy the City. They are trying to stop this from happening & want to make this right for those it has happened to. They ARE a legitimate fundraising company, but the sellers selling the books for MORE than $20 are NOT.
    Lee Michael ~~ December 28, 1980 - July 18, 2009
    Rest Well, Beloved Little Brother! You are forever loved & missed.
    My dear little brother honorably donated his kidneys, liver, skin & his beautiful eyes.

That girl came to my door too! I'm also on the west side and I think it was the same night as you were talking about. I quickly turned her away so I didn't end up buying anything..

Can't trust anyone these days..

Comment

My son did sell these a few years back.. the way she is selling is definately a scam.. we had to pre-order books and had them in hand to give the customer. We got the money and we had to pay the company directly or return the books.

We charged 20 or 25 for ours.. but i believe the price is not set by them but by the group selling to up the profit.. I ended up buying only the one we had.

Comment

Originally posted by mommyx2 View Post
        My son did sell these a few years back.. the way she is selling is definately a scam.. we had to pre-order books and had them in hand to give the customer. We got the money and we had to pay the company directly or return the books.

We charged 20 or 25 for ours.. but i believe the price is not set by them but by the group selling to up the profit.. I ended up buying only the one we had.
        They actually have $20 printed on the front right hand corner...it was covered up on the copy she had, though.
        My dear little brother honorably donated his kidneys, liver, skin & his beautiful eyes.

Comment

You people on the West side have all the fun. No one like that ever comes to my house. Maybe it's the "No Soliciting" signs. Who knew they would actually work?
          “As long as judges tinker with the Constitution to ‘do what the people want,’ instead of what the document actually commands, politicians who pick and confirm new federal judges will naturally want only those who agree with them politically." - Antonin Scalia

Comment

She came to my door too! My husband gave her a check and I was so mad at him! I told him we were being probably being scammed! >

Comment

Just capitalism.
              Whether you think you can, or think you can't, you're right

Comment

Originally posted by AGH View Post
                You people on the West side have all the fun. No one like that ever comes to my house. Maybe it's the "No Soliciting" signs. Who knew they would actually work?
                Give me your address & I will send them your way next time.

Comment

Yes she came to our house. And I gave her 5 $ to help her out as when I said no to the coupon book she asked if I can at least give her some money.
                  How stupid of me. I should have trusted on my guts and said no to her.

Comment

I live in W. Frisco and she and her friend came to my house recently, too. The copy of the book she had was torn and tattered and the coupons all expired this year, so I thought something was "off" about her. I declined to purchase a book, so she asked if I would be willing to make a small donation to help her with her college venture. Although I knew something wasn't right about the situation, I did give her a small donation just in case she was legitimate. I then watched her proceed to our neighbor's house, so she was definitely working the entire neighborhood.

Comment

Yeah, she got me last year. From now on, I'm going to say 'Yes, let me grab my checkbox.' Then grab my camera and take a picture instead... And the car if there is one.

Comment

Ugh!

Duped. I'm so ticked off. Happened to me in McKinney. Just thought I would share my frustration.

Comment

I live on the East side, by Heritage High. They hit over here. The girl that came to my house was blonde-caucasian. I've got too soft of a heart I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by FRISCOGAYPARENT View Post
                            I live on the East side, by Heritage High. They hit over here. The girl that came to my house was blonde-caucasian. I've got too soft of a heart I guess.
                            That's interesting. The two girls that were over here were dark hair hispanic girls. Both very sweet.

I will PM you with the contact information for the lady at Enjoy the City.

Comment

Only way these kind of people will go away is if people stop giving them money.
                              No reason for them to look else where as long as the money is flowing.
                              Kings of Comfort AC and Tommy with North Dallas Doors (Garage Doors) are my approved companies of choice. No need to look any further.

Comment

Working...
                              X