No announcement yet.

Work Question ? especially in need of opinion from those in senior management

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Work Question ? especially in need of opinion from those in senior management

It difficult to toot our own horn, but we all need to learn to do it. Especially with the job market the way it is. I think you are going about this the wrong way. If it were me (and I realize its not) what I would do start doing update reports on a regular basis. Only you know how often these need to be done. In my previous postion I had to submit a weekly overview of what I worked on and a monthly report of achievements. They wanted to see what was completed and what is still in progress.

You should be able to point out what you have found without making the previous employee look bad. You don't want to make someone else look bad because they will start to question your motives. Its just like the key rule in sales...tell me what your product offers not why you are better than the competition. Same rule applies. Show your boss what you have discovered/found etc not what the previous employee missed.
    Submitting a list like you suggest he might question your motive. Just start putting the reports together and the first one send an email telling your boss you just want to keep them more informed about the progress/status of your projects.
    Be respected. Be unique. Stand up for yourself. Be kind. Don't worry. Forget the insults. Remember the compliments. Don't allow yourself to be bullied by anyone

Comment

i will start by saying i am not in senior management. that being said i don't think you demonstrated a need to send this email to your boss. if its been clear that things have run a lot better since you came on board they know about it. i would keep a detailed list of your accomplishments ( a that a girl/boy list as i call it) and use it to discuss during your review process which i assume you have once per year. if you don't have one you can request one under the context of "how am i doing?"

i don't think sending an email will do you any good and emails sometimes come across not how the sender intended them to.

make sure when you put together that list that it has tangible metrics and not just vague info like this department sucked until i got here. the more detail you show the more valuable your perception is and in corporate America perception is reality.

Comment

I ask my employees to do a self review every year and this is where I expect to see things like a list of accomplishments that they feel are note worthy. I then use that along with what I have noted about the employee's work performance to complete the year end review.
        “As long as judges tinker with the Constitution to ‘do what the people want,’ instead of what the document actually commands, politicians who pick and confirm new federal judges will naturally want only those who agree with them politically." - Antonin Scalia

Comment

Originally posted by Geck View Post
          i will start by saying i am not in senior management. that being said i don't think you demonstrated a need to send this email to your boss. if its been clear that things have run a lot better since you came on board they know about it. i would keep a detailed list of your accomplishments ( a that a girl/boy list as i call it) and use it to discuss during your review process which i assume you have once per year. if you don't have one you can request one under the context of "how am i doing?"

i don't think sending an email will do you any good and emails sometimes come across not how the sender intended them to.

make sure when you put together that list that it has tangible metrics and not just vague info like this department sucked until i got here. the more detail you show the more valuable your perception is and in corporate America perception is reality.

The review process didn't take place because no raises were allowed on a company wide basis so it will be another whole year before that may take place....

Also, in this list it will show how my accomplishments made the department better....

Comment

I am not in a senior position, but I would follow what the above posters are suggesting to you. You have stated that your boss is very busy. If you send him an e-mail that he did not request, then you are taking up time that he will question your motives. You might come across as, " I am needy", " I need someone to tell me they like my work". Do the list in a manner that if you were your Boss how you would like to read it, then put it away. Your doing a good job, if you were not you would be in your bosses office with him telling you what you need to work on. Remember, he too is concerned about his job in this market. keep up the good work, do your list for when the right time will come around, and remember he wanted you in that position. BTW, I would often be like you, but when you can look at it from the outside in, you can see things more clearly.
            R.I.P. Max http://www.canine-epilepsy.net/
            http://www.akcchf.org/how-you-can-help/
            I've seen a look in dogs' eyes, a quickly vanishing look of amazed contempt, and I am convinced that basically dogs think humans are nuts.~ John Steinbeck

Comment

Do the list, but for yourself not your boss. Its a good excercise. Then ask for a one on one with manager to say what's on your mind, because the first question that manager will ask themselves and maybe you if you send just that list is "what do you want?" If you cant discuss these sorts of things without writing a list you have bigger challenges.
              I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.

Comment

what are you trying to accomplish by sending the list ? is there an end result you have in mind ? i would not send him a list per se and make it about you. what i do think would be appropriate, IF he is your direct supervisor, is provide an update on changes you made within the department, why the changes were material, and what the expected short term and long term benefit of those changes will be for the business.
                you then open the door to send him periodic updates on the status of the ongoing benefits of those changes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Comment

I think it would be weird to send it out of the blue. I would use the fact that you havent had formal feedback and you are new to the position as a way to setup a formal review with him. In that meeting you can talk to your list and MAYBE follow it up with an email depending on the outcome of your meeting.

Comment

No..
                    moths are attracted to the showroom bright glow of LCD..

Comment

I would suggest you request a short meeting with your boss, and suggest that since the review process is not in place this year you would still like to makes sure you are both on the same page regarding you're duties. Then present the email, without any overt references to your predesessor. Speak to what you've accomplished and future goals.

Comment

Instead I would insist on having one on one meetings at lease every other week to go over things..
                        moths are attracted to the showroom bright glow of LCD..

Comment

It is all about your sense of worth and whether you are questioning your own abillities.

Believe me, your boss knows what you are capable of and if very busy, is supportive enough to let you continue on the path you are on.

Don't be insecure, just do what you are doing to keep him out of trouble.

Comment

I'm not in a Senior Level position, but I am responsible for yearly performance reviews in my current position. Here are my thoughts.....if you sent me an email out of the blue like that, I would ask myself "why?" or "what is it that she wants?" I'm sure your boss is extremely busy, but he may be more in tune with what's going on than you know; he just might not be giving you the praise or acknowledgement that would demonstrate that to you. I agree with some of what has already been stated, start giving him status reports once a week, or once a month, and this will give you a chance to lay all your accomplishments out without it being obvious. The fact that you feel like you should send an email out like that in the first place would make me think you were unhappy with your pay, your job requirements, your co-workers, etc. or all of the above.
                            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Comment

Everything Joycmarr says.

As I have moved up in my organization, I have found more and more that management expects you to take care of your own business. My reviews 10 years ago focussed on both hard and soft skills and goals. . .more hand holding. We talked about accomplishments in detail and where areas of development exist. As I have moved up and taken on more responsibility, as it sounds you have, management has taken a more hands-off approach with coaching, mentoring, and recognition. I still receive recognition, but not like when in a lower position. You may need to look at it as a compliment from your manager as they know the quality of worker you are and expect great things from you by default. A one-on-one is the best approach as I previously posted. Don't send an email.
                              I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.

Comment

Working...
                              X