BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BBQ Advocates - Here Ye Here Ye!

Ever since I bought this green egg, I have done massive amounts of experimentation. Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Ribs, Beer-Can-Chicken, Steaks, Pizza's...you name it...

I'm now on the quest for the best brisket... I recently went to a 4th party where my buddy had this recipe / rub that was really..really good.. I don't know the particulars (Yet!) but it was a mustard rub - on the smoker for several hours and then finished on the smoker in foil...

What has been your best recipes? I think my best so far is my apple cider infused pork shoulder / pulled pork.

I just recently found this stuff here - ordered 5 different blends...

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/rubs.html

Throwing Salmon on Cedar planks tonight...!

When I retire, I'm totally becoming a pit master!

Originally posted by mridgley View Post
    Ever since I bought this green egg, I have done massive amounts of experimentation. Brisket, Pork Shoulder, Ribs, Beer-Can-Chicken, Steaks, Pizza's...you name it...

I'm now on the quest for the best brisket... I recently went to a 4th party where my buddy had this recipe / rub that was really..really good.. I don't know the particulars (Yet!) but it was a mustard rub - on the smoker for several hours and then finished on the smoker in foil...

What has been your best recipes? I think my best so far is my apple cider infused pork shoulder / pulled pork.

I just recently found this stuff here - ordered 5 different blends...

http://www.dizzypigbbq.com/rubs.html

Throwing Salmon on Cedar planks tonight...!

When I retire, I'm totally becoming a pit master!
    Btw, you can pick that up in Frisco at Gold Metal pools. Its about the same price you find it online and its easier to get to and works great for last minute "oops I ran out"

Comment

Originally posted by planomateo View Post
      Btw, you can pick that up in Frisco at Gold Metal pools. Its about the same price you find it online and its easier to get to and works great for last minute BBQ's.
      I've been a huge fan of Ol' Henry's Pecan Rub... that stuff is GOLD!

Comment

I've tried a few, I've been tinkering with my own blend, but haven't found the perfect blend yet. But I'm still trying

I prefer a nice bark, mustard base, and I don't use tin foil unless its sitting in the cooler for a few hours to be served.

Comment

Same here... tinkering just a little with my own blends... but nothing has really stepped up to the level of Ol' Henry's.

I'm really interested to hear how others smoke their briskets. Temps etc.. marinade time..

Comment

I've been thinking about one of these grills and wondered if there is an advantage to the Big Green Egg brand or have any others had luck with other kamado-style ceramic charcoal cookers?

Costco has one that looks pretty well made...Vision Grills Classic Kamado Charcoal Grill
            __________________________________________________ ___________________________
            "Too often we judge other groups by their worst examples, while judging ourselves by our best intentions." - GWB

Comment

More tips while I'm at it.

Gold Medal has decent prices on Ozark Oak lump charcoal. They are about $0.50 higher per bag than Elliot's, but easier to get to.

Elliot's will give you a 10% discount when you buy in bluk - 10 bags. When I bought my BGE back in November at the Demo Days, they had buy one get one free for Ozark Oak. I hope they run this again in Nov - I will buy a TON of it.

I've tried several other cheap bags of lump but haven't really liked them. Bought some cheap stuff from Costco, Academy, and a few other places local but they spark pretty bad, easily jump 3' outta the BGE (I have a wooden deck and patio cover).

Comment

I don't have a BGE, just a smoker. But when I do my brisket, I put a really thick rub on it. In addition to your favorite rub of choice, I add garlic powder, onion powder, and Lowry's to the rub. I smoke it for 8 hours at about 205 degrees. Every hour or so; I baste it with a mix of 1/2 water, 1/2 butter, and all of the above rub ingredients mixed in. Currently, I use the Jack Daniels smoking chips from their barrels. I think it adds a sweetness to the flavor. You can pick them up from Cabella's. After the eight hours, I wrap tightly in foil and reduce the temp to 175ish for 16 more hours. So, 24 hours total. Everybody that has tasted my brisket seems to like it; but more importantly, I do.

Let me know your pork shoulder recipe. I tried making pulled pork for the first time this weekend and I thought my results were just OK.
                Last edited by CCSracer13; 07-07-2013, 08:29 PM.

Comment

Still experimenting with the brisket but have 2 must do's that I think are critical. Get that brisket up to 190 degrees internal or it won't be tender enough and the wrap in tin foil then towels and put it in the cooler for a few hours is a must.

I pull my pork just about better than anyone in Frisco.

(I put that by itself so someone can rip it and quote it easily.)

Rub the shoulder 24 hours in advance. I use pecan but will try apple down the road. Make sure my water is always very full in the smoker. 7 hours in the smoker at 200-225 (whatever it takes) then it is in the dutch oven in a mop for another 5. Shreds like butter, back into some of the mop for more moisture. Never had a complaint!

Great thread Ridge! Thanks for starting it.
                  There are 3 things that America will be remembered for 2000 years from now when they study this civilization: The Constitution, Jazz music, and Baseball. These are the 3 most beautiful things this culture's ever created. Gerald Early

Comment

For my pulled pork - I usually grab a 8-9 # shoulder... I also grab some turkey bags in the ziplock section (largest bag I can find to marinade in).

My marinade is...

1/4 Cup Apple Cider Vinegar
                    1/2 Cup 100% Apple Juice
                    1/4 Cup Corn Syrup (or Honey)
                    2 Cups (1 bushel) chopped green onion

I inject the marinade as well as let it soak for a good 12-24 hours refrigerated.

220 degrees (indirect) for 1.5 hours per pound time expectation. I cook to an internal temp of 195* - 200* (this is key).. 9# shoulder will take 12-14 hours. Keeping the shoulder as close to the top of the dome as possible.. elevate it if you can.

After it reaches 195* internal - pull it... immediately wrap it in foil a few times...then wrap in a towel...then chunk it in a small cooler to rest for about 2-4 hours.

When you pull it out - it will fall off the bone. Shred with a fork. We use Sweet Baby Rays on it and it is delicious.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisCharmingMan View Post
                      Still experimenting with the brisket but have 2 must do's that I think are critical. Get that brisket up to 190 degrees internal or it won't be tender enough and the wrap in tin foil then towels and put it in the cooler for a few hours is a must.

I pull my pork just about better than anyone in Frisco.

(I put that by itself so someone can rip it and quote it easily.)

Rub the shoulder 24 hours in advance. I use pecan but will try apple down the road. Make sure my water is always very full in the smoker. 7 hours in the smoker at 200-225 (whatever it takes) then it is in the dutch oven in a mop for another 5. Shreds like butter, back into some of the mop for more moisture. Never had a complaint!

Great thread Ridge! Thanks for starting it.
                      Dutch oven - great idea!

Comment

Here is what I do for my brisket:

Prepare:
                        - Trim off any excessively thick parts of the fat cap. About 1/4" is enough fat.
                        - Put a wet rub all over the brisket
                        - Put in a bag and marinade overnight. I'll usually add a bottle of Allegro marinade as well (use their original, not the brisket one that has liquid smoke in it).

Smoking:
                        - I use an offset smoker and use oak lump charcoal and then mesquite logs that have been soaked in water overnight.
                        - Smoke the brisket for about 6 hours between 200-240 degrees with the fat side up

Cooking:
                        - After 6 hours, the brisket really doesnt need any more smoke, but it does need to continue cooking.
                        - Place the brisket on aluminum foil
                        - Before you wrap the brisket, lightly score the fat cap with a knife. This gets the juices flowing a bit and lets it drip down into the meat.
                        - Wrap tightly and cook for another 12 to 24 hours at around 200-225 degrees.

Here is a pic of the last 2 that I did, right at the 3 hour mark. There is also some deer sausage and beef jerky as well.

Last edited by JJFrisco; 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mridgley View Post
                          I've been a huge fan of Ol' Henry's Pecan Rub... that stuff is GOLD!
                          Right!?! Love me some pecan rub!!
                          Dachshund: A half-a-dog high and a dog-and-a-half long.

Comment

I hadn't heard of the wrap and put in a cooler routine before. Are you guys talking on ice? Or just a storage spot?
                            Some people call me the space cowboy, yeah...Some call me the gangster of love

Comment

How was your salmon ? Ours was da bomb diggedy
                              :)

Comment

Working...
                              X