The Hunger Games

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Hunger Games

I finished all 3 books in 6 days, mostly by reading at the gym...I finished Mockingjay on Wednesday night & when I went to the gym last night, I kind of felt lonely. LOL!

I can't explain it with these books, but they really just sucked me in! Now that they are done, I am really looking forward to the movie being released next week.

Who is planning to go see it?
    Lee Michael ~~ December 28, 1980 - July 18, 2009
    Rest Well, Beloved Little Brother! You are forever loved & missed.
    My dear little brother honorably donated his kidneys, liver, skin & his beautiful eyes.

Oh my daughter (21 years old) is so so looking forward to this movie! She's been a fan of these books for years. They are really good and I'm planning on going to see it also. I hope the movie lives up to the book!

Comment

Yup, dd is hooked. She ordered the nail polish for all the areas so she can be polished for the opening. Lol.

Eta-she just corrected me. It's not areas it's districts! Lololo
      No pressure, no diamonds. -Thomas Carlyle

Worth it > Easy

Comment

I can't wait to see it!! My son and I talk about it all the time. LOL My husband thinks we're nuts.

Comment

Completely hooked too. I got the first book for a free rental from Amazon and loved it so much I had to buy the next 2. I read them all in 4 day. I don't thnk I cleaned or cooked in those days. Can't wait for the movie!

Comment

I read them all really quickly as well. I couldn't put them down! I am going with a group of girlfriends to see it in Fairview at that nice dining theater. We already have our tickets for next weekend! I am looking forward to it.
            "There's quite a difference, isn't there, between what was and what should have been. There's an awful lot of one but there's an infinity of the other." - The Doctor

Comment

I have read the first one, and very fast and good read.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
              I like maxims that don't encourage behavior modification.

Comment

Originally posted by va-native View Post
                Yup, dd is hooked. She ordered the nail polish for all the areas so she can be polished for the opening. Lol.

Eta-she just corrected me. It's not areas it's districts! Lololo
                You can get the polish at Sally Beauty Supply...yes I know - we were there last week to pick up a couple of them. Love the coppery one the best! LOL - told you my daughter is hooked!

Comment

I just read the trilogy a couple of weeks ago. I downloaded it and couldn't stop. I think I read all 3 in 2 days. I am really looking forward to the movie. I agree with you Sling--feeling kind of bummed it's over. I need to move on to something else, but not sure what. I've already read the Girls with the Dragon Tattoo books.

Comment

The books are greatness! I can't wait to see the movie. A group of us are actually leaving work early on Monday to go see it.
                    "Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."

Comment

My oldest daughter is almost done with Catching Fire, so we will probably be going to see the movie this weekend. I even did my nails in honor of The Hunger Games. LOL!
                      Lee Michael ~~ December 28, 1980 - July 18, 2009
                      Rest Well, Beloved Little Brother! You are forever loved & missed.
                      My dear little brother honorably donated his kidneys, liver, skin & his beautiful eyes.

Comment

Just purchased tickets to go tomorrow night with DD and DS. I had to bribe the other DS to watch my youngest kids. He didn't want to go with me anyways as he has friend that's a girl to go with on Sunday. All 4 of us have read all the books. I think this is the only series all of us ahve read.
                        "Sh** happens when you party naked" my uncle

Comment

So the movie was well-done, IMO. Not too graphic, not too bloody. (Though the images of dead, open-eyed close up shots of faces of "kids" is rather haunting...not sure I was prepared for that. Absolutely worse than any blood I saw.)

HOWEVER...

I would strongly suggest having your child(ren) read the book before watching the movie. There was a little variation here and there (i.e. end scene with Cato, dialogue between President and Seneca Crane, etc.), but nothing that IMO drastically changed the movie.

WHY I RECOMMEND THEM READING IT, THEN is - there was a blatant lack of "I'm-stickin'-it-to-da-man" actions/dialogue by Katniss during the fight/survival period. There was only one scene where I recall her looking at the camera with a signal of defiance for the Capital/President/Hunger Games and consequently the signal for respect for fellow Tributes/Districts.

In the book, it seemed there was more of THAT kind of character development especially of Katniss, and if your kiddo hasn't read it, I think they will just see it more as a "kill or be killed" movie...which I don't think is the intent of the book/trilogy. I think if there had been more of that type of dialogue/interaction from Katniss, a lot of the "blanks" would be filled in for those who haven't read the book.

Even so, as an adult, it's easy to fill those blanks in and draw certain conclusions. The average 12 - 16 year old could easily miss that, though. Just a suggestion, but all in all a well-acted, well-done movie.

Oh...and I did my nails, too. Smoke and Ashes base with an Electrify top coat. Black for District 12 (coal), Red (fire), Gold (Mockingjay). Oh, yeah...they're "all that."

~~ Walking In the Sunshine, sing a little sunshine song... ~~

~~ "You may all go to Hell, and I will go to Texas." ~~ Davy Crockett

Comment

My oldest has read all three books several times. We all went to the midnight opener. I enjoyed the movie.
                            I never read the books but with all the hoopla about it, I expected it to be some stupid movie like the vampire stuff, but it was not that at all.
                            I couldnt believe we were done watching a 2 1/2 hour movie. Certainly didnt feel like it at all. Im down for going to the next ones if made.
                            "Don't expect to build up the weak by pulling down the strong." - Calvin Coolidge, 30th President of the US

Comment

Perspective from American Thinker on The Hunger Games

Most interesting:

http://www.americanthinker.com/2012/...ger_games.html

PS. Don't stop with just the article. There is a link to the over 50-some comments that are worthwhile.

Comment

Working...
                              X