More than a dozen Frisco ISD band and orchestra students are getting a once-in-lifetime opportunity to perform at a concert alongside professionals from the Dallas Symphony Orchestra (DSO).
It’s the first time FISD high school students will share the stage with DSO musicians – a rare honor made possible through the District’s ongoing partnership with the symphony.
Students will play four selections at the concert Saturday, May 13 in Frisco, which features the music of Beethoven, Strauss and Brahms. It will begin at 6:30 p.m. at Stonebriar Community Church, 4801 Legendary Drive. Buy tickets here.
The select group of students were among those from FISD named to All-State ensembles earlier this year by the Texas Music Educators Association (TMEA). This prestigious recognition is the highest that a Texas music student can receive.
“The opportunity to have All-State students perform side by side with one of the world’s most captivating orchestras is one that students and directors will never forget,” said Frisco ISD Assistant Fine Arts Director Pete Hazzard.
The students participated in free Master Classes with DSO musicians who play their instruments earlier this month. The Dallas Symphony has offered these classes to middle and high school students in Frisco ISD for each of the last five years. Professional musicians coach students individually and in small groups, sharing advice, passion and insight into the art of their craft. Band and orchestra students gain helpful tips regarding tone, tempo, breathing and more.
For the symphony, it’s a way to give back to the community in advance of its annual concert in Frisco, part of the DSO on the Go performance series.
To further prepare for Saturday’s concert, selected students will participate in a rehearsal with the DSO Friday at the Meyerson Symphony Center in Dallas. Frisco ISD All-State students who will perform at the concert include:
- Ryan Bae of Reedy High School – clarinet
- Rachel Diaz of Centennial High School – clarinet
- David Dong of Frisco High School – percussion
- Jared Esserine of Lone Star High School – tenor trombone
- Caitlyn Hazzard of Liberty High School – trombone
- Richard Huang of Liberty High School – oboe
- Jisu Kang of Liberty High School – clarinet
- Brianna Meinecke of Centennial High School – tuba
- Marshall Mixon of Liberty High School – oboe
- Kyle Monk of Independence High School – cello
- Jude Morris of Centennial High School – trombone
- Samantha Powell of Centennial High School – cello
- Ivy Wang of Frisco High school – percussion
- Charles Yang of Liberty High School – clarinet
DSO on the GO was launched in 2012 with a classical concert in Allen. In the 2016-17 season, DSO on the GO will feature the full Dallas Symphony Orchestra playing classical and pops concerts as well as the DSO Brass and Percussion sections in cities and neighborhoods across North Texas. DSO on the GO concerts feature familiar classical pieces and popular light classics, with concerto soloists who are principal musicians from the DSO. DSO on the GO is presented by Ebby Halliday, REALTORS. Learn more at www.mydso.com.